Nice cars explained

I wrote a blog post yesterday pooh-poohing nice cars. I was tired and feeling overwhelmed. The house was empty and life's maintenance seemed to be piling on. When tired I kavetch. We all have good reasons to be in a bad mood. My apologies I needed
a happy pill. I should have explained to myself that 2/3 of everything can be explained by demographics. This was explained to me by Dr. David Foote(economic demographer) in a lecture at UWO. He wrote the book- Boom, Bust and Echo. When I first starting teaching at Sheridan I thought everyone wanted to be me and make pots. I worried about the students having to work as hard as I had. Then one year I believe around 2010 I had a class that had a veternarian, a pharmiscist, a Phd In Pysics, a Masters in Arts Adm, a lawyer, a architect, a banker and a couple of project managers. They were all successful women that had had successful careers and now they were doing what they damn well pleased. This explains nice cars. This is of course good for me as a gig employee. This explains how pottery is on soooooo many peoples bucket list. I have a list that rhymes with bucket. I'm probably considered a veteran now. The GI Bill of 1944 in the US covered Art School training and many of these people are now exiting their careers. I was talking to the Director of one of the top ceramic residences in America and the Director told me that only 40% of high school students are now applying for post secondary education. It used to be 60%. Expensive, yes! Job guarantee, no! The skilled tradespeople in my town have the nice wheels and all the toys. The answer is appeal to my Class of 2010. They can afford to do what their hearts want to do. It means flexibility as they may have kids, grandkids, spouses, life stuff! It ain't too late to keep getting better. Harley Davidson is now making e-bikes( not motorcycles) but pedal bikes. So is Mercedes Benz! Demographics!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very excited to part of this tsunamis of potential mudslingers. I just glazed and loaded my gas kiln. My riding buddy Dr.John is coming tomorrow for a ride, bacon and eggs and I'm firing the kiln. While firing I'm going to sit back with a cold beer and read "The Lincoln Highway" by Amor Towles. I'm going to work on a mood adjustment.:)
Tall and thin always gets in. Bowls and plates sit and wait! They take up so much real estate.
This is my ride "Ramblin' Jack". I have a quiver of 3 bikes worth more than my car. Call it priorities.

Comments

gz said…
Enjoy life...and your rides!
(Don't you have to put another numberplate on the bike that is hiding the other?)
Anonymous said…
little message to repeat to yourself, and tack to your studio wall.

Be willing to destroy!

Love. Forget perfection, just go for it. Ahhh, so wise. Well there you have it.

Bobbie
A&E said…
Everyone has a choice! Sometimes you have to work harder to get the nicer things in life. We know potters driving Teslas and Subarus!
Anonymous said…
You don't need a fancy car to be successful, but a great dress and interesting wardrobe choices certainly helped Grayson Perry.
Anonymous said…
Billie Holiday - Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do (1949)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AIdxGPVYs
Anonymous said…
Would it be nice if my garden hose could fill up the gas tank of my car?

The Mysterious Death of Stanley Meyer and His Water-Powered Car
https://www.gaia.com/article/the-mysterious-death-of-stanley-meyer-and-his-water-powered-car

Do you think this technology could be adapted to firing up a kiln?

Wouldn't that be the best green kiln firing process?

Kiln-curious
CG said…
If you want to be successful, act the part. Present yourself well, don’t wear clothes with holes and stains dress well, don’t tell everyone how poor you are, offer to pick up the tab , act the part be respectful …..woe is not me. If you talk about how you don’t have money and can’t make money you’ll never make money.
Anonymous said…
Time for a make over?
Anonymous said…
What's with the soccer mom transport?
Anonymous said…
Overcoming external and internal barriers, finding freedom, but freedom isn't always free.
Anonymous said…
When Donald Trump watched a pay for view special on TV, it gave him the brilliant idea that he could do the same with all those boxes of classified documents he had at Mar-a-lago.
Anonymous said…
LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
There will be a cold dark place in hell for artists who don’t do their work.

Fred B.
Anonymous said…
Donald Trump as Norma Desmond in “Sunset Boulevard," swanning about in a semi-fugue state while lackeys work to maintain the illusion that nothing has changed. He can’t conceive of his holding onto top secret files as a true transgression because they aren’t as important as he is. In his preferred version of reality, he’s still big; it’s the alleged crimes that got small.
Anonymous said…
Would you buy a used car from Donald Trump?

Would you let Donald Trump look after your life and retirement savings?

Please donate to his presidential campaign now!



Popular Posts