Sunday, August 18, 2013

Cookie Jars

When you spend the summer working in a studio with non stop visitors with all the stupid questions you start to second guess what is coming. I made these 8 lb jars and thought oh god they will ask what can I use it for? Well I ain't going to write cookies on them so I figured I'll turn them into teapots and then they will get it. Yesterday while I was putting them together they kept asking if you could actually put tea in them?
I rarely put overhead clay handles on teapots but I tried fooling around springing them off key. It is kinda like building an arch. I guess with the kilns and pizza ovens I've been involved in this past 3 months it was bound to creep into my work.
This is that pink porcelain I have been using. I hope the support for the arch holds up on the handle.



4 comments:

Colleen Potter said...

lol, it'd be worth the airfare to fly down there and ask you some 'stupid questions'

Dennis Allen said...

After looking at my "coffee" mugs last week, a guy asked if I had any for tea. It's always something.

smartcat said...

I'm sure all potters have been asked countless times if a mug, pitcher etc. could have flowers in it. The temptation to say, "No, you make a contract with me to use it only for what the stated purpose is." But I don't, because most customers don't think before they ask.

Anonymous said...

wow 8 lbs? the way you throw and expand things you can probably wash that towel in the picture it it when not using it for tea. ;-)

rick/doc