The Evolution of WTF's




It took me a day of maintenance after my 17 hour drive home from Minnesota to get back into the studio.  I warmed up with 8 8lb platters. I had some cash in my pocket so I figured WTF why not make some WTF’s.

Donovan and Colleen had a big Don Reitz platter on the wall and the gold medalist Mitch had worked for Don. He told me of wedging 2100 lbs of clay for Don on a weekend workshop. I would love to have met Don and I would further love to attack a pile of clay like that.  I looked at Don’s stacked vases and these WTF’s are a very tame version of them. I put two pieces together and then stood back and thought WTF I might as well add a thrown a foot ring. Then I stood back and looked at them and thought you guessed it WTF I might as well put some ribbon handles on them. Then yep the thought occurred to me again why not put a couple of strap handles over top. They are of the size that would require a lot of cookies or a heckava big bag of weed so the likelihood is they are not for any kind of kitchen use anyways. I then stood back and yep you guessed again I figure WTF they are buck naked and need some surface treatment so I applied my thick slip. I found that when I apply it over my coloured slip it sometimes peels off so I had to paint the coloured slip on the bare spots.  I figure these jars are about as useful as my bacon pots. Sometimes ya just have to turn your back on the market place and make WTF’s. Go ahead make your own WTF today, tomorrow or sometime this week. Don’t delay it is sooooo anxious to get out of your system. Who knows someone may see the love of making that is contained within and take it home. I have this cornball belief that filling your home with objects made with love transmits love thru osmosis.

Comments

Ann Brink said…
Thanks for jarring my outlook in this direction! I'm 82 and if not now, when?

Popular Posts