The Man is in the House






Bruce Cochrane is giving a workshop this weekend at the London Potter’s Guild. I went into town to join Bruce and friends for dinner at my favourite Vietnamese restaurant. We then went back to the centre for his Power Point presentation. His work blows my mind. Google him and visit his portfolio. He is one of the best vessel makers bar none in my opinion. Now when you look at those pots remember they are “thrown”. No, they are not slabs put together. They are for the second time “thrown”. As many years as I have been making pots I still don’t understand how he does it. There are hand built elements but the body of the work is thrown and in multiple pieces. I look at Bruce’s pots here at the Cactus Lounge and wonder how the hell he did it?
Meticulous craftsmanship, amazing forms, attention to the smallest details, and tasteful surface treatment.
At the Q and A at the end of his Power Point the room fell silent. No bloody wonder we were all still stunned by what we had just seen.  I felt humbled and drove home thinking of how I could be more exacting.
 Erase that thought!

Earlier in the evening Bruce suggested that he and I do a workshop together.  I think it would be a great workshop of the two Bruce’s. I am after all Anthony Bruce Clennell. My work has always been about leaving the marks of the maker in the throwing, the trimming and the firing. Putting a Shurform in my hand would be tantamount to murder. I don’t think I’d look very good in an orange jump suit.
I know you still don't believe me but those pots are thrown! Knock em dead, Bruce.

Comments

Popular Posts