Potter's Tag







I believe there are plenty of relationships that stay together because of economic dependence. The worst kind of dependence. Money is power in a relationship.  I have that kind of relationship with clay. If your partner is also your paycheque, you’re in a different position to make demands. So if you earn no money, or less money you’re going to be less likely to win when it comes to what you want to make.
I came back from two workshops in BC where I got my workshop fee, sold some pots and some books and two pockets of cash. That was 6 weeks ago and I’ve had a good time making what I want to make feeling the freedom to explore new work, and do pretty well what I wanted to do in the studio. Well the money is gone and I’m thinking of making for the market place again. The lower the bank account the tighter the pots! 
 The good ole tray sets that are a no brainer for me and sell like hot cakes are back in production. I also made some teapots with slip cast lugs and knobs that are pretty tight by my standards. They could use a good poke! I also made some cups with my slip cast diner style handles. Opps, they only fit one finger and I know the majority of the market like huge cups with handles that fit a fist or at least 4 fingers. I dislike those handles so until the wolf at the door actually comes in and bites me the handles remain my sanctuary from dependence.
The diner style handle is actually a small version of the dog bone handle. Since I don’t pull that handle all that well I slip cast it. Porcelain handle on a stoneware cup.

For those of us in Ontario that fondly remember Blue Mountain Pottery sold in Birk’s Jewellery Stores across the province I slip cast this vase. Every house in the province proudly displayed a piece of BMP in the window. I would buy my mum a piece for Christmas. The vases were expensive so it was usually a swan, bear or some small novelty item. I gave the vase a poke with the palm of my hand when I pulled it soft out of the mould. So far that is it’s only sign of my vandalizing it with this potter’s tag. The vase was usually cut at the top to give a bird beak appearance. I decided I liked that line. Now to decide about further pokes, slashes, little lugs. It takes some time to develop a recognizable tag. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Not just Ontario. Coming from a solid working class (Working Class def: people who get up in the morning and go to work and are thrilled to death to have a job and a television)community in suburban Montreal, my aunt would proudly display her BMP swans or fruit bowls let us know that in having ownership of such valuable artifacts just how sophisticated it made her. We bought bought in and were in awe. There was hell to pay when tossing a baseball around in her living room with my cousin one of the swans came to an untimely demise. As for your majestic vase buyer beware. Tag away!

Popular Posts