Potter’s Crack



It is not only the plumbers that are known to show their crack. I’ve been obsessed with potter’s crack since about this time last year. I have spent the entire year trying to expose my crack. I consider the blue and the red a thong of sorts that I put between the cracks after a second bisque. I’m trying to skip this one step with the application of slip under the crack. I just sneaked a cup outta the wood kiln and it didn’t work. Damn! Everything I lust for involves work.
These small Korean moon jar shapes are sketches of what I’m thinking of doing at Starworks on a larger scale. Most of the work that I looked at around Seagrove was pretty traditional in form. After all  when you have 7 or 8 generations of potters there is bound to be a following of tradition. I found this in Korea too! I want the work to be vessel oriented and sculptural in nature.
I fully realize that this is not everyone’s cuppa. That’s fine with me as I’m not every bodies cuppa. I have always been fascinated with the idea of making pots that blind people could enjoy. It is what I find so progressive about Canadian currency. It has the dollar value in brail to assist the blind. So take these pots minus colour, close your eyes and experience not only a nice full form but a little finger journey along a rocky ledge.   The rocky ledge will look wonderful with the flowers from your garden growing out of it. I think looking at the flowers on this ledge would be most satisfying. It is further celebration of the bouquet and that is the intent of a great vase. The intent is to celebrate the flowers not compete with them.
I’ve been asked to present a Power Point lecture on Monday December 11th for The Hamilton Potters Guild at the Carnegie Gallery at 7:30. I’m sure all are welcome. Potters are welcoming people. The topic of the PP is “Fail, it ain’t so bad-look at me! It centers around a career of  over 40 years of making mistakes, taking wrong turns ,motoring on and now more than ever I’m having the time of my life

“Listen, I don’t want to stifle your creativity, but that thing you built there, it looks like a pile of shit” Justin Halpern, Sh*t My Dad Says

Comments

Popular Posts