Thanks for nothing!

When someone gives you a glaze recipe they have given you nothing. Perhaps a road map with a bunch of directions to follow but not a straight road by any means. Since I have been home people have asked which clay at Starworks did I like. The truth is I don't know yet. I haven't seen the clay fired successfully my way in my kilns, with my glazes and with my firing /cooling schedule.
This is one reason I think John Britts book on High Fire Glazes is the best out there. John gives you the glaze formula and the firing schedule. This is crucial! It still ain't a straight road but at least it's paved most of the way.
I got back into the studio today and of course I had to make glazes which is tedious. I had some vases from December awaiting and some bisque I brought home from Starworks. Mostly I have Dark Star Wild as I anticipate leaving some clay showing in my gas kiln as well as the woodie. I am firing both wood and gas this weekend so I'll have more of an idea who to fall in love with.
no that is not a chippy dippy. I hate those things. Pots stacked for economy in the woodie. 

It won't be till next week before I can move some clay around. I really need to see the work before I get ready to rock and roll. NC was so good for me in so many ways. It is just sinking in. The rock and roll will be more of a slow dance.
My next gig is The Guelph Potters Market and I will be shoulder to shoulder with some of my favourite peeps. There looks like a great wood fire contingent this year. Playing pool with people who are your equal or better keeps your game sharp. Nobody wants to get skunked or

be the turd in the punchbowl.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Have a great firing Tony and friends
Anonymous said…
Tony, we used a variety of the Starworks clays during a Winter residency session at Penland. Love these clays, but your comments are so true. We found that Dark Star and Okeweeme Medium seem to be formulated for the longer and hotter firing cycles that many of the Seagrove potters use. At Penland, we salt and soda fired our work to cone 9 in the gas kiln over 17 hours (suspect that some areas of this kiln were actually cooler than that). When we got home, we discovered that many of our pots seeped. So we reviewed the spec sheet for these clays and noticed they many of the clays were rated cone 10-12. So we re-fired them to hard cone 10 in a gas kiln. While the bodies were tighter after the 2nd firing, even then we had some seepage with Dark Star and Okee Medium. We suspect that they may need to go to cone 11 but have not had a chance to test that. New Catawba, East Fork Red and the regular Okaweeme seem good at Cone 10. Test test test!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for another good read from Tony. Love your work. Nice to hear how other Potter's get things sorted out in their studio and getting back to work and how the schedule goes and that ongoing Circle kind of like make a mess clean it up and do it again we love it

Popular Posts