How to get an "A" in my class

I just finished up a 11 day teaching gig at Hood College in Maryland teaching throwing to a group of Masters students. There was a firing scheduled but I told them they could learn to throw better or throw and fire. Thankfully they opted for an entire course of throwing. Whenever a firing is involved greed rears it's ugly head and students from day 1 start playing it safe and wanting to get every precious thing in the firing. Safe pots, no editing.
We had a student from Saudi Arabia in the class. I loved her direct approach. She said my pots looked like someone of two years throwing experience made them. That I made them perfectly and then something happened.  It was a compliment. She then went on to say she could feel my passion and how I loved to make pots. She learned to make things that weren't perfect.
I had mentioned that what I love about America is waffle machines in hotels. So on the last day they planned a big breakfast with eggs, waffles, fruit, egg casseroles, bacon, sausages, muffins, fresh ground coffee, whipped milk and cream. You can always judge a good ceramics class by the quality of the pot luck. A Sunday breakfast in my books rates a Grade A for all the students.  Teaching is the most important job in the entire world. It feels good when ya know you threw a well aimed  grenade and it's about to explode.  Good luck on the Clay Path Hood students. If you get as good as I think ya could stay out of Aylmer, Ontario, Canada
Sunday breakfast at Hood College Ceramics Dept

We would have preferred batts for plates but they were all in use.

Thanks Corey for the delicious coffee delivered to my wheel.

Bacon server.
. That's my town.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You're so lucky, the last potluck I attended gave me a good old case of the trots!
janet greer27 said…
Wow! And what an intense, inspiring, mind blowing workshop it was! To be immersed for eleven days straight morning till evening with Tony and the class was life/ceramic changing for me! Not only that, we were entertained with Tony's quick wit, reminiscing about his journey with clay, and top secret clay stuff. And, I now own my first Mormon coffee cup. Yea baby!
Anonymous said…
Now I know why some teachers ask you to pick out your best piece of work, and then ask you to throw it on the bonfire, or toss it in the river, or out a second store window. If you treat it as precious, you never take a chance and never learn to be better.

Popular Posts