Pulling the plug!

With the pace I've been keeping I wish someone would reach down and pull my plug. I need some down time with a book, a wood stove, a top shelf bourbon and maybe even walk a dog.  I walk 45 minutes each day but it always seems to be done to get it done, with head phones on and some rocking music. It is exercise not relaxation.
I had two more wood firings scheduled and I have cancelled one. It's too much stress and work. I always over deliver and so for the next couple of days I get to weed through hundreds of pots to pick out the racers, the so whats, the seconds and the land fill. Funny how expectations enter the picture. You expect one thing from a firing and when it isn't what you expected you're disappointed. It's not that the work is bad, it just isn't what you expected. Kinda like relationships I guess. We expect one thing and it turns out not to be what we expected. Sometimes it is better than we expected. That is what I love about The Champ. Sometimes he makes my pots so much more than I could have dreamed. There is no way on Gawd's green earth I could have done it without the help of  the serendipity of wood firing. Sometimes the pots are really not that fantastic. This is probably when I try to live a pure and angelic life.

Thinking tonight of my hero Muhammad Ali - The Champ who I believe was the greatest athlete of my time and a moral compass
I love this pair. I'm going to sell as a piece. They are in a good relationship. 

Oh but me and Wally like to put our whole fist into the handle!

Did you bump into these or drop them on the floor when you made them?
I'm a Bad Man
Last night I had a dream, When I got to Africa,
I had one hell of a rumble.
I had to beat Tarzan’s behind first,
For claiming to be King of the Jungle.
For this fight, I’ve wrestled with alligators,
I’ve tussled with a whale.
I done handcuffed lightning
And throw thunder in jail.
You know I’m bad.
just last week, I murdered a rock,
Injured a stone, Hospitalized a brick.
I’m so mean, I make medicine sick.
I’m so fast, man,
I can run through a hurricane and don't get wet.
When George Foreman meets me,
He’ll pay his debt.
I can drown the drink of water, and kill a dead tree.
Wait till you see Muhammad Ali.

Comments

smartcat said…
Well Tony, you have certainly given me pause for thought. I was never really drawn to wood firing because it was all so brown. You have disproven that notion with your elegant forms and seductive colors.
And your mugs are calling. Hopefully I will have one of these on my table one of these days when I am a bit more forward in the world .

Popular Posts