Discovering you're not Japanese

I saw an amazing Japanese water jar by Akira Satake in Asheville last week and I went to bed thinking I would make some the next day. I woke realizing I'm not Japanese. The object would have no use in my household. I have no cultural  reference.
Trouble is the value placed on these objects from Japan. A guinomi is really just a footed tooth pick holder with a fancy name. Try to get $1000 for a tooth pick holder.
A yunomi is half a Coke can with a nice foot.
A chawan is a General Purpose bowl that I would use for almost anything except hummus.
A water jar is a bean pot or casserole and how much moola do ya think you're going to get for one of them. The Japanese value ceramics as a high art. Many North Americans put a higher value on a reproduction of a painting.
So I took what I intended to be a tea jar and turned into a bean pot. Nothing like beans and bacon.
Beans and bacon- fine cuisine

Getting the loose outta me before next weeks Intensive Course

Just can't let it be.

I'm going with what we North Americans love- BACON. Yes, I think I'm on the cutting edge of a new wave in American Ceramics. Bacon holders are the next mini skirt, Beatle boot or the boot worn by almost every potter I know in Canada- Blundies (Blundstones).

Made the handles and then figured a pot to go under.

The perfect romantic dinner- bacon and flowers.

A stretched finger poke
Y'all think I eat bacon 3 times a day. Truth is I like it Sunday at a greasy spoon near by. I eat pretty well and I have learned to really like sushi. I made some trays that would be good for either sushi or bacon.
Sushi with a side of bacon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bacon 3 times a day, you definitely need the patch.

https://www.finedininglovers.com/article/bacon-patch

Anonymous said…
Fight for Central Tech's Art Program

These teachers and technicians NEED to be protected and supported in order to preserve the proper art education that has existed for artists since 1915.

3,256 have signed. Please sign, and if you are on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram pass it on.

https://www.change.org/p/toronto-district-school-board-fight-for-central-tech-s-art-program

Sandy Miller said…
But what about Canadian Bacon? It’s always round and weird.......

Popular Posts