Dear John

I sent your saddle home. Just a couple of the amazing lyrics of my favourite singer song writer John Prime. I first became aware of Prine in the early 70's with the release of Sam Stone a song about a addicted veteran with a Purple Heart that died of an overdose. " There's a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes, Jesus Christ died for nothing I suppose."
He could be hilariously funny and profound all spoken in every persons language. Language that you could imagine in a bar with a couple of beers, some chicken wings and a bunch of your best friends yucking it up.
I have all of his albums and I can't say which one I love the most. Of course " In Spite of Ourselves" with his favourite girl singers is so funny. His latest "The Forgiving Tree" seemed to contain so much regret.  I listen to them when I need to think. He made me think about stuff i wanted to write about. Stuff that moved me and had me reflect on my life.
From The Forgiving Tree
When I get to heaven
And I always will remember these words my daddy said
He said, "Buddy, when you're dead, you're a dead pecker-head"
I hope to prove him wrong, that is, when I get to heaven

John's further thoughts on heaven

If I go to heaven ,
I'm not gonna wear a white robe and 
sing mediocre Christian songs.

If those people are there I'm gonna need a drink.
John Prine  1946-2020

John I'm having a Tequila Anjou on the rocks with a double lime in your honour. I may even go to bed tonight with an illegal smile. Well actually it's Canada and 50 years later  it's legal. 
Loved your tunes and always will.
Well done, brother.
T


Comments

Popular Posts