Easy money in pottery

Right from the git go let's get something straight- there ain't no easy money in pottery. There is easier




money but not easy money. Whenever I have come up with the brilliant way to make some easier money fast it has dragged out and it only took me away from what I love about making pots- variation, creativity and freedom.

The other day I was spent. and running out of clay.  I had no big ideas so since I was trained as a repetition potter I made some cups, some bowls and some plates. That's an easy afternoon for me. Repetition is the easier of the hard money. Almost no thinking involved as your hands are your memory and they do what they are supposed to do without really being told.  These pots are destined for my gas kiln since it is the easier of the hard way of wood firing. 

If I really wanted easier money I would have skipped putting two handles on each bowl. Easier has never really appealed to me.  I sincerely doubt the handles add any real value to the pots other than I insist they be there. They are my signature and as my dad taught me "It's what you do when you don't have to that really matters!" Thanks Dad, I could be rich if you didn't sit on my shoulders each day.

Last night I finished Cheryl Strayed's "Wild". She said something that has puzzled me all day long "There's no way to know what makes one thing happen and another not."  I blame it on The Universe or my brother the Hawk. Today on my bike ride I saw two of my brothers staring down at me from the telephone lines.  Sometimes I feel in the drivers seat and sometimes I feel someone else has the wheel and the direction I'm headed.  The days of repetition are the days when I let someone else do the driving. It doesn't happen often but sometimes a guy needs a rest. 

Comments

Julie B said…
Good talk and thots thankyou!!
Anonymous said…
Hawk is a good spirit animal. Do you make hawk art? Do you buy hawk art? I have seen potters that do. And there are some potters out there making a good living. Look to your spirit animal for guidance. You should decorate your home with your spirit animal.
Anonymous said…
Handles on bowls are a great idea, it keeps you from burning your fingers in the hot soup.
smartcat said…
Some days you’re the windshield; some days you’re the bug!
Anonymous said…
Perhaps. You think you are it. Maybe you aren’t. Sensor ship.
Anonymous said…
Tall poppy syndrome?
Anonymous said…
Try to be unpredictable in your comments.
Anonymous said…
Follower of the derivative?
Anonymous said…
meat tray pottery is easy money, I know a potter who sells it by the bushel basket.
Tony Clennell said…
Anonymous: I got in a lot of hot water for denouncing meat tray and doily pottery. Great for kids but at a professional????? There is probably some easier money to be made in ice cream and butter tarts. I have no interest in doing it for monies sake. Best, T
Anonymous said…
ONTARIO’S BEST BUTTER TARTS

Doo Doo's Bakery - Award Winning Butter Tarts

https://doodoos.ca/

They have the best butter tarts, I love the one's with bacon!
Anonymous said…
It's a classic!

MEAT TRAYS AND PAPER DOLLIES

April 21, 2015

https://smokieclennell.blogspot.com/2015/04/meat-trays-and-paper-dollies.html
Anonymous said…
There's easy money in writing pottery books.

How about "The Joy of Meat Tray Pottery"

or "In Praise of Meat Tray Pottery"

of course with a special chapter on textured wallpaper or paper dollies
to give them that handmade look.

They'll fly off the shelves as potters get ready for the next Guild Sale.

Popular Posts