Mud and water man

I think it was Cardew who referred to himself as a mud and water man. I identify with his statement. Clay and making are my thing. I fired the whole dang kiln with crack and hagi. It is a surface I like and I'm really not interested in making a bunch of pots I wouldn't want in my own cupboard. Some potters are amazing at glaze, some are amazing at firing, some amazing at making, some amazing at marketing and a very few are good at them all. I'm really not interested in testing, making or applying glazes. Firing a kiln is always stressful. The day I love most is trimming, poking, prodding and making handles. I love looking at cheese soft clay pots before they get leather hard. They don't look that great when dry and even less appealing bisque fired. This may blow you away but I could easily have someone throw the pots, glaze them and fire them. All I would do is get to trim them, poke, prod and handle them. Oh and I don't really even want to be part of the selling process. That for me is at least as painful as mixing glazes. I haven't felt much like making these days. Unloading the kiln yesterday has me inspired. These are pots I could live with. I know colour is in and the more the better. Sorry that ain't my thang! Well not in pots but in clothes, eyeglasses and shoes I'm all in. I'm making a set of dinnerware for my riding buddy Dr. John and I want it to be something I would want. As with all commissions I have ever accepted there is one or two things that need to be remade. I had several plates frisbee on me. I have a generous rim and pushed down pretty hard into it to make the impression. High ho, high ho so off to work we go! I owe, I owe so off to work I go.

Comments

gz said…
I hear you!! Firing is too stressful, best done in a team.
People always want colour in hard times..who can blame them.
Anonymous said…
pixilated
Anonymous said…
How does food look on it? Show a steak and broccoli on the plate to show how great it will look. Presentation is always important isn't it?
Anonymous said…
I don't think that I've ever seen juicy crispy bacon in your bacon bowls?
Isn't that false advertising?
Anonymous said…
What's holding you back with color?
Anonymous said…
When somebody asks you, 'What made you take to pottery?' the only possible answer, if you are honest, is, 'I was no good at anything else.' (Michael Cardew)

Your secret is out now.
Anonymous said…
“I grew up watching my father make plates that featured penises as centerpieces. Pink, proud, and stiff, encircled by cerulean Greek key, Dad’s creations made me feel scared and small. I saw a private part of the man I could not measure up to. At six years old, I lived in a world shaded by his ceramic glazes. There was love and color, but anger, too, in the way he kneaded his clay, palms pounding the rich, wet earth into shapes of his choosing.”
― Royal Young, Fame Shark
Anonymous said…
‘Same Energy’ is a New Visual Search Engine That Finds Related Images by Style and Mood

https://same.energy/
Anonymous said…
“Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” — Lucille Ball
Anonymous said…
“Don’t brood. Get on with living and loving. You don’t have forever.” — Leo Buscaglia
Anonymous said…
“Maybe it's easier to conform, to stay in a job I hate to pay bills of the things I don't even enjoy and marry a man I'm not passionately in love with, whilst surrounded by those who have absolutely no life to their smile but I don't want easy. I never have. I want a life so fucking grande' I reach every little milestone in sweats or tears knowing I Followed what was true to my heart. I don't care if I walk alone for the rest of my days, if it means I get to stay true to myself.”
― Nikki Rowe
Tony Clennell said…
Wow: I was unaware of the quotes of Nikki Rowe but I do love them. Thanks. T

Popular Posts