It ain't over till

the fat lady sings. It ain't over till (or until) the fat lady sings" is a colloquialism which is often used as a proverb. It means that one should not presume to know the outcome of an event which is still in progress. More specifically, the phrase is used when a situation is (or appears to be) nearing its conclusion. This bowl has been fired 4 times. First the bisque, then a wood fire where the glaze was a very quiet green. I have had a tendency of late to believe that more is more so I ordered some premade 04 glazes and I painted over top and did an 04 firing. Much to my disappointment the bowl still didn't sing. So I took some dried glaze and sived it on the bowl and high fired it im my gas kiln to Cone 10. Pretty damn nice! So does this mean yet another process for me to include to get the fat lady of the opera to sing for me? I tried to put together a display for Beer and Cheer today. Looks like 3 different potters. Wood fired pots, white and red pots from the gas kiln and the sculptural bird houses. Wish I could present myself with a couple of alias to see who the hell I am. The conclusion I've come to tonight is that I am a creative soul. I am not a potter that could spend a career doing the same product line year in and year out. It probably makes sense but I guess I like different places and different experiences.
Suffering makes you deep. Travel makes you broad. I'd rather travel.

Comments

Anonymous said…
He who fears he shall suffer, already suffers what he fears.

MM
Anonymous said…
You know what makes the best topper for a glazed piece you don't like, a good spread of dog poop. A dog that gets fed on cheap dog food, you know dog poop that turns white. It is loaded with bone meal (calcium) and ash as a filler. Trust me its spectacular.
Anonymous said…
Great layering of glazes, any plans for the back of the plate?

Cha Cha.
Anonymous said…
What an inspiration, if you don't get it right the first time, try and try again, after 4 times it looks great. But how many times would you go, before you write something off as a lost cause?

C.C.

Popular Posts