Peaks and valleys

When you have a career as long as mine you easily recognize when you're not at your best. Times in your life when you are in a valley and the valley runs low. Covid was that kind of valley for many of us in the Arts. Last week I was scanning thru some pics and saw a bowl that is probably one of my favourites in the world. I think it was Korea but it looks like an Oribe green(Japan) or the green of Sancai (three colours) of China. I can't get that Oribe green since I reduce so hard the copper turns to a liver red that I find objectionable.
I revisited the "She knows" trail and kept adding layer after layer. Funny thing is I go to bed thinking about what to make tomorrow and what I can cook for dinner. Preparing a nice meal for myself has now become a passion. I'm busy for Santa so my bike is not getting the workout it should although I did hit over the 5000k mark. Sometimes priorities have to be juggled. I'm down firing the shino which is resulting in some spectacular irredecence. Down firing, reduction cooling, striking I'm not sure what I'm doing but I can't wait to do it again. It's been a loooooong time since I had that desire. Welcome back!
"During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you." If you're thinking Gawd nope it was either my Dad or Uncle Jimmie. Too many times in my life that I feel my Uncle Jimmie has intervened. I got some good pots for y'all for Ash and Barrel in Hamilton Saturday December 3rd. I'll buy you a beer! Let's clink glasses to peaks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love the colours, you mean Shino doesn't have to be that god awful orange at all.
Tony Clennell said…
Shino can be any colour of the rainbow. It's only the unimaginative that only create orange god awful shino. T
Anonymous said…
Hint, hint, the 1970's are over, hope the technician at my school comes up with some new glazes and does something about replacing the orange shino, and the mossy olive green celadons.
Anonymous said…
Colour In Glazes

A complete guide to getting a fantastic spectrum of colorful glazes, Linda Bloomfield looks at a full range of materials and options for creating colors in glazes.
Anonymous said…
John Britt

The Complete Guide to Mid-Range Glazes: Glazing and Firing at Cones 4-7

The Complete Guide to High-Fire Glazes, Glazing & Firing at Cone 10
Anonymous said…
Recipes: Shino Glazes

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/ceramics-monthly/ceramics-monthly-article/Recipes-Shino-Glazes-257929#
ceramicmugs said…
1. Glazing: In the process of glazing, the ordinary round mouth is dipped in glaze (dip the blank into the glaze basin, and immediately lifted when the edge of the mouth is flush with the glaze surface) or glaze (pour the glaze slurry into the blank and shake to make the top, bottom, left and right evenly Glaze, and then quickly pour out the excess glaze slurry), cut ware (relative to "round ware", "round ware" refers to round utensils formed by drawing methods, such as bowls, plates, dishes, etc. And the forming process More complicated utensils, such as bottles, statues, pots, pots, etc., are called "cut wares") or large round utensils with blowing glaze (the method is to cover the bamboo tube with fine yarn, dipped in the glaze, and blow with the mouth. Repeat this many times, A glaze layer with uniform thickness can be obtained on the blank surface).
2. Kiln burning: Kiln burning is a time-consuming step, the time course is about a day and night, and the temperature is about 1300℃. Build the door of the kiln first, ignite the kiln. The fuel is pine firewood, guide the piling technique, measure the fire time, grasp the temperature change of the kiln, and decide the ceasefire time.
Xin Xiang Ceramic Mug Manufacturer Co., Ltd, Custom coffee mugs factory, coffee mugs, sublimation mugs, tea cup & saucers, fine bone china mugs, color changing mug etc.
3. Color glaze: On-glaze colors such as multicolored, famille rose, etc., are used to draw patterns and fill colors on the glaze surface of the fired porcelain, and then burn it in a red furnace at a low temperature, the temperature is about 700 ℃-800 ℃. In addition, before firing the kiln, paint on the green body, such as blue and white, red in glaze, etc., it is called red in glaze, which is characterized by color that will never fade under high temperature glaze.
Anonymous said…
most insightful!

Popular Posts