The things you notice

On my very cold bike ride this morning I stopped by this ploughed Amish field. You can tell it was done slowly by horsepower. The deep texture is like rolling waves. Probably before planting they will need to go over it with a harrow. It occurred to me that horsepower ploughing versus industrial tractor ploughing offers the same results as treadle/momentim wheels do versus the electric wheels. Electric wheels produce electric pots. There is more gesture, more nuance, more weight, more undulation, more of you in slow wheels. My daughter Robin has probably the best overall collection of my work. Generally it is work that didn't sell so I give it to her. Usually they are my best pots. Most people don't give a damn about the things I give a damn about when considering pots. When I go to her house I ask to use this carbon trap shino cup I made probably 15 years ago. I almost never drink out of my own cups. Warren MacKenzie said it's like talking to yourself. I know I made it on my treadle wheel because it has that certain something I don't get no matter how slowly I turn my electric wheel. I have to build in the undulated rim that happens so naturely on the treadle wheel. Going slow helps me to see things I would normally whizz by. I do prefer my bike to walking but I am learning to stop and look. I was listening to astronaut Roberta Bondar the other day. She said" If you do something long enough it becomes part of you". I'm really only two years into this cycling habit of mine but it has become part of me. It was really cold this morning and I thought cuddle up with a book. I couldn't! I had to ride. Maybe it is discipline. Maybe it is being as hard headed as a wrecking ball. Maybe it's a cure for being alone but not lonely. Whatever it is I'm glad that it is now part of me.

Comments

gz said…
Pirate has to ride his bike every day, even if its twenty minutes on the turbotrainer!
His head is screwed up if he doesn't.
That is a beautiful ploughed field..such a pattern to it.
Yes, horse ploughs, push bikes, kick wheels...they have a lot that powered things do not.
Anonymous said…
Motion is the lotion!
You just feel sooooo good....
And sometimes......just sometimes..... some great ideas come forth!
LM
Tony Clennell said…
LM: I'm waiting for that great idea! I do feel good and I am sooooo thankful that this is part of the new me. TC
Anonymous said…
Bicycle Pottery Wheel By: Myles Everett Chumchal

I spent the last month designing and building this bicycle powered pottery wheel. Some 3d printing is required unless you have the capabilities of machining large gears to fit unique parts.

I hope you enjoy this eco-friendly potter's wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHj_BysG4Ww
Anonymous said…
Home made pottery kick wheel for $50

I fabricated this kick wheel with a water heater drain pain, 80 pound bag of concrete, old bicycle, patio umbrella stand, used fence pipe, leftover T&G board, chunk of foam pad, oil drain pan, pvc coupler, 18" pipe nipple, 1/2" pipe floor mounts, thrift store frying pan, paint and spar urethane from other projects. This was built for about 10% of the price of a used wheel. We will pick up some clay and try it out soon! :-)

Shawne M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjX7LvcAvjQ&t=4s
Anonymous said…
This instructable will show you how you can build a solar powered pottery wheel out of a bike frame!

https://www.instructables.com/Solar-Powered-Bike-Frame-Pottery-Wheel/

Unknown said…
You daughter scored one hell of a good cup! Pays to have a genius dad!!!

Popular Posts