Spoiled Brats

Pottery today is so much different than it was for my Uncle Jimmie and Aunt Cavvy in the 40's and early 50's. They dug their clay, they made their wheels, their glazes, their electric kilns and mostly made pots that people needed. We today don't make anything people need and everything we need is in a box, a bag or a jar. There is a line up of different wheels and gizmos to make pottery easier. Here is a picture of the wheel my Uncle Jimmie made out of a washing machine motor. He threw on this wheel and taught me to throw on it as well. It has two speeds- on and off. My job often was to wedge and prepare clay for him to throw. As I remember the wheel never stopped. Sometimes to slow him down I would wedge a stone or pine cone into the clay so he had to stop and pick it out. I now teach beginning throwing classes and the old stand up wheel is my go to. Some of the students like it too as they don't have to worry about their foot. The most common mistake I find with beginners is speed. They throw waaaaay to fast. The old wheel drones on at a constant speed. Reminders of my uncle and dad have shrouded me these past few days. The dogwood planted for Uncle Jimmie bloomed yesterday and the clematis planted for my dad Jack bloomed today.
doogwood for Uncle Jimmie
Clematis for my best friend Jack- Dad

Comments

Cyndi Casemier said…
Such good memories and training. The flowers are lovely.
Anonymous said…
Lucky you to have such beautiful reminders of the 2 most important men in your life.
Anonymous said…
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present. - Bill
Anonymous said…
Fitness Singles is the largest site for fitness dates and exercise friends!

https://www.fitness-singles.com/
Anonymous said…
The Doomsday clock is ticking, better hurry up with that big creative breakthrough in pottery.

lux

Popular Posts