Doppelgänger

I got an email from a friend saying she missed my writing. That I was so good at it! That I was a teacher and what i said resonated with so many. Thank you! I was distraught that my ceramic blog was being used by right wing conspiracy theorists for a platform to spew their whack job theories. I was also worried that I had said it all before. I just finished reading Naomi Klein's book Doppelganger and I don't intend to add the politics to my blog. Naomi convinced me that I too am a doppelganger. I am Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. I can make pots that the masses like but what I love to make are pots that I like. My bank account dictates what I will make next.
Two different plates. One that is easy to love and the other with a jagged broken rim and rougher treatment is harder to like. I had the good fortune to hook up with George McCauley at The Bray in Montana. George and I are two peas in a pod. I am better looking and more loveable but we share a ceramic history that unites us. That's a joke! We never looked back and we never gave up. He writes about making from your heart. I write something similiar with the narrative of relationships. We both write about love of relationships, about love of process, about love of life and the life of being in this amazing clay community.
This one is easy to like.
This one is harder to like. The jagged edges, the deep marks. Surely an accomplished potter could make a better rim. This is something I could make said the student. I have missed y'all! I always said I write for me and not for you. Finging my way back to clay after a hiautus. T

Comments

gz said…
I've missed your writing too.
Keep potting, keep writing...please
smartcat said…
Stay in touch. Always enjoy your posts.
Anonymous said…
Love both plates. Actually, the one with jagged edges is easier to like for me. But of course, our Empty Bowls organizer said, "Sharp jagged edges won't be covered, if I use her glazes.
Anonymous said…
Thumbs up!
This blog post was "liked" by lil nastee.

Popular Posts