Iddy Biddy

Last night I brought a treadle wheel home so I can work outside and enjoy my garden. The wheel is on loan from my pal Emma Smith who is on a self funded sabbatical. Thanks a bunch, Em! There is something about pots made on a treadle wheel or kick wheel(momentum wheel). On the treadle wheel the wheel stops when you stop kicking. I guess that's a metaphor for life. The kick wheel keeps going with momentum. All students should learn on these slow wheels. Every where I go people have their wheels spinning at warp speed. Fast wheels don't make casual pots which is what I like. You can tell by the gesture in the throwing, the weight and often undulation that is not contrived. Every time I go to my daughter Robin's house I pick out one of my cups made on the treadle wheel. The weight and feel are something not all would appreciate. No tight little concentric rings in either the throwing or the trimming. Easy casual gesture. What I like about Iddy Biddy is her size. I can walk up and get on and off. All other treadle wheels I've tried I have to get up on a cement block to get on and off. Really looking forward to making some cups. I love cups and I especially like the look and feel of my slow cups versus faster cups made on "Paul" my Soldner wheel.
I've been trying some roundies. My clay is soft of course given my age so volume is a challenge.
The middle one which I like the best was thrown upside down. I love that it is assemetrical.

Comments

gz said…
Many don't realise the difference between working on a kick wheel..on a slowing wheel..and on a powered wheel...an accelerating wheel.

The lower wheel is interesting..a good idea.
I'm working on a Woodley (Leach) design wheel... Bernard Leach was seriously tall with long legs....but at least the kicking lever is adjustable!!

I like the roundies...nice and lively

Popular Posts