Back to School





Yesterday was my first day back at Sheridan College School of Craft and Design. I start off teaching the 2nd years mugs and bowls. I always start with bowls since cups and handles are a lot more difficult. My job is to get them comfortable on the wheel and to do this I have them make a lot of pots. We will be making a batch of 800 lbs or more of clay per week. Next Monday I will walk in the room to talk about the 150 pots that they will have collectively made for a homework assignment. I am totally amazed at how the demographics of my classroom has changed over the past 8 years. Imagine your classroom has an architect, a Bay Street stockbroker, an arts administrator, a lawyer, a graphic artist, a veterinarian, an MBA, an MA in English, a blues singer and the list of professionals goes on and on. The number of students in the program that have had other accomplished carriers is amazing.
With the amazing blend of people in the class it brings the level of learning to it's highest form. They just can't enough and will be mulching this experience for the rest of their lives. Don't tell anyone but I get paid to teach them. Life is good for those that know that life is good.

Comments

Popular Posts