Chick Magnet

Yesterday, I had a visit from Heidi Zach a marketing student of mine from Wiarton District High School some 24 years ago. Heidi's grandfather was eccentric old Austrian that had a house and castle on the rocky shores of Colpoy's Bay. He carved everything in sight. He carved the floors, the window sills, the doors, the rocks. He really should have been the subject of a CBC documentary. Heidi had a brain for business and went Brock University to become a Chartered Accountant but with this artist gene in her bones how could she be happy? Similar to me in that my aunt and uncle placed this artist seed in my head that didn't allow this square peg to fit into the round hole of the business world. Thankfully for both of us a life in the arts would be our destiny.
It will be our great pleasure to make a 12 place dinner service for Heidi and her husband Robert. We've been given the freedom to make it all different.
It was a wonderful visit for me. That students of a couple of decades past think enough of me to make the connection once again makes me feel that teaching really is one of the most important and gratifying jobs in the world. It's like having a very large extended family.

Comments

Popular Posts