Riddled with love bombs

Yesterday I headed out to Shane Norrie Contemporary to see a survey of Bruce Cochrane's work of the last ten years- BOOM, BOOM, BOOM  it shot me right down. Absolutely the best individual show I have ever seen. I was being riddled with love bombs for every single piece in the show. Bruce has such an incredible sense of design and an even more incredible mastering of the material. You could spend the afternoon looking at one piece and wondering how the hell he did it. Most of the work is undecorated. These incredible forms need no decoration. As John Neely once said to me " no decoration is a form of decoration!"
Bruce was always an amazing maker even when he was a full time studio head and professor at Sheridan College School of Craft and Design. I think though that the full time working in clay has us all in wonder of each year that he does something  different and yet completely resolved.
Congratulations Bruce for such an amazing show. Your quiet influence on my wanting to always be better I owe to you and the more than a decade we spent together at Sheridan.
Any of you collectors out there ought to get a piece of Bruce's from Shane Norrie Contemporary. I am still paying off Hawkeye but I'm staring at the Cactus Lounge and figuring where to make room for one of those lidded boxes and jars.
The Man

Thrown and altered jar

Oh my I do love this box. Love bomb!

Big double wall

If your company says nothing never invite them back- they're boring

Wall plate- David Stuempfle bought one of these

Huge articulated jar

Wall art- triptych

Comments

Anonymous said…
Being a master of craft is an endangered species these days, with the current trend in new ceramics looking like the work we produced in elementary school.
Anonymous said…
I would say why? But apparently you need a BFA or an MFA in ceramics to produce those
mock-primitive ceramics.
Anonymous said…
Love is all around, when you love what you're doing.
Unknown said…
Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

Hương Lâm chuyên dịch vụ cho thuê máy photocopy giá rẻ, uy tín TP.HCM với dòng máy photocopy toshiba và dòng máy photocopy ricoh uy tín, giá rẻ.

Popular Posts