Building Character

Today as every November 11th I visit the grave of my Uncle Jimmie and Aunt Cavvy. Both of them served in WW 2 and were the most influential people in my life. Yes, even more than my parents whom I loved. My Uncle Jimmie is part of my soul and I still visit him in low moments of my life and ask for his guidance. I know he resides on my shoulder and has pushed me forward when the winds of change have hit me hard and knocked me off my guard. I reach out to him to steady my hand on the tiller of life. I took out his army jacket today and saluted it. He was a Lance Sargeant in the RCA 13th and spent 5 years of his life in action in Europe allowing me and him to to be the characters we are. His time at War allowed him to shamelessly wear a pink womens hat and walk with a twinkle in his eye. I know the horror he must have saw but his eyes twinkled with the satisfaction of a potter's life . He fought against a bully, and racist. Sound familiar???? These heros went to war not craving applause or grand standing for dominance. I give thanks today for not only my aunt and uncle but all that stood against a tryrant so that I could live the life of an artist. I am indeed one luck SOB. Peace out my brothers and sisters of clay. Make some good work and leave a mark of love. T

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are such a famous potter, you may not even feel like you have to answer this. I have followed you on Instagram and I watch your work. I think I realize how important it is to develop a style that is recognizable to people. My question is though, how important is it to continually work to make new things that are different from everything you always do. I see your work, bacon bowls, vazzes and teapots and see that though you might add a piece of clay here and there, but they have stayed the same for a long time. I want to continue to sell my work and I have only been at this for 10 years and I realize you are retired and so it doesn't matter at this point to you to have to earn a living-you worked hard to get to the point to retire, but I still have 25 years before I can retire, and I want to always make work, but I don't want to have to work till I die. Maybe you could write a blog about how to keep going as a potter that wants to survive on making work and earning a reputation and a good living so that I am able to retire and have a career like others labouring in careers they might not love but in clay like you have said it has supported you and let you retire. Thank you, John Craigborn in Tennessee.

Popular Posts