I ain't ever satisfied!

36 years ago I sold my Hasselblad 500c and lenses moved to the country and grew weird. I  put a down payment on an old field stone barn with a dirt floor to turn into a workshop to make pots.  I had an old oil drum converted into a wood stove and  I started my first pottery.
Hey Dennis always good to read your comments on my blog- humorous and thoughtful. Is this the best mug I can make for $25 is a great question? Again, I'll answer that the only one that cares is you the maker. I find I put more time into my mugs these days and get less money for them. How bright am I??? That's not supposed to be the way it works. You make better work you get more money, right! But here's the "but". I am trying to attract good potters to our workshops at Pinecroft. They don't come to see and learn how to make ordinary. They come to see and make extra-ordinary. Many are very good makers but need to give their work that extra bit that is to become their signature. I have opinions about pots and thankfully most people I have taught respect those thoughts.  How is this one when asked what is a good pot?  A good pot is one that I like!
Having a wood fired kiln has always been my way of making work that is thoughtful.  I hate the thought of putting so much work into something that is a "so what" pot. The work I make for the gas kiln is more market driven and probably what makes me the most income. Strangely enough I am known for my wood fired pots. I think they are better and they aren't really much more money! Boy, I'm smart!

Comments

Anonymous said…
i have been trying to make your swirl since i first saw it. fail every time. love the elements and gestures of the pots tony. rock on.

doc ;-)
pfunk said…
odd coincidence with the name Dennis and the title of this book and the story behind it.

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Country-Growing-Weird-Adventure/dp/0874174848

Popular Posts