Doing a line


-->
A good friend of mine had a friend over for tea and served her in one of my yunomi’s with an undulated rim. Pardon the elitism of using the word yunomi to describe  a cup the shape of a can of Coke.  Now you get my reference to "doing a line".
Her friend was horrified that this apparent professional made work that looked like a beginners. My friend suggested that I am limiting my market by producing such work that is too hard for most to understand. So today I thought hmmmmmmm  forget my pride but I got to put a new gas tank in the CRV and  the Dentist sure dinged me yesterday. So I made some cups with a "so what" rim and just for the exercise put a straight line in the waist line. Beside it is a cup with a undulated rim and a wavvy waist line. For my money the wavvy line and the undulated rim is far more interesting, but then I'm not everyone. So I have a bet with my friend which cup will sell first. I'm usually not a betting person but I'm going  to bet on that horse called " Choose Interesting".
That horse hasn't paid big money yet but it has kept me at the track for over 35 years.

Comments

DropStitchChris said…
"There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into sun."
Pablo Picasso
Togeika said…
I disagree with the potter that says you should only make for a 30 mile circle from where you live. Why should a potter stifle himself? If your neighbors don't like it, make your circle a little bigger.
We don't just make pots to match the color of the couch. We educate our patrons too. They aren't just buying a cup. All your knowledge and expertise is in the package too.
Chantay said…
I figure if someone wants a "perfect rim," they can buy their cups at Wal-mart.

Popular Posts