Best failure ever!


Success as an artist should mean recognition and monetary success. If you were to ask me who my favourite contemporary artist is today I’d without hesitation say Banksy. The graffiti artist that nobody knows. He is believed to be British but won’t do interviews and I don’t know how he makes a living.  His reputation alone is said to be worth 20 million US dollars. His art though has always got a real hook to it. It is very well done and has an unforgettable message.  Two London bobbies kissing was a real good one. I have known of several potters that refused to sign their work. The work itself is the signature. Those that come immediately to mind are Shoji Hamada, Richard Batterham, and Harry Davis. Funny thing is they are probably 3 of my favourite potters.

This quote by Ray Charles says a lot about what your goal is with your work. Ray’s was obviously to be a great musician. “I never wanted to be famous. I just wanted to be great!” So I’ve revealed to you my favourite artist and now my favourite politician is Texan Kinky Freidman. That guy is character personified. To quote Kinky “ You have to pretend that your life is a financial pleasure even when your autographs are bouncing.  Kinky never made it to be governor of Texas but he got my attention way up here north of 49. The world needs more characters!

Comments

Popular Posts