I got crabs!


My workshop up Island got cancelled so I spent an extra couple of days at Chosin’ Pottery with my gracious hostess/friend Judi Dyelle. Judi is amazing as she took me all over and I sampled island life as I heard of it so many times on my regular Saturday night phone calls.
Me being a meat and potatoes man all I can tell ya is you have a hellava lot of work to do to pick the wee morsels of meat outta a Dungeness crab. It’s almost like going on a diet with all the work to get a toothpick full of meat. Good thing we had some nice fresh bagets, some salad and nice bottle of wine or I might have perished. I was just about ready to throw the dang crab in a pan of hot water and make a soup out of it shell and all.
Judi and I put together the images for the eulogy that I will be presenting at Nceca in Pittsburgh on Robin’s behalf. Spending this past week there gave me so much more appreciation for the artistry and hard work behind this iconic couple. Judi allowed Robin to dream in technicolour while she kept the house fires going, the I’s dotted, the t’s crossed and the financial wolves at bay. There was no production work left in the showroom. Judi had finally convinced Robin that he had only so many more pots left in his hands so he should concentrate on one off’s. Each time he would focus on a series- landscapes, oribe,southwest etc, etc. What kept revealing itself with each series was the amazing brushwork. God, he was good with a brush.
Rich to have such wonderful friends. Thank you Judi for such a wonderful insight into your world.

I’m sitting waiting for the ferry to Vancouver for a weekend workshop with my friend Janet Zadra. Back to the mainland and a 3500 kilometer walk back to The Cactus Lounge. Once pointed in that direction I start to think of the richness of what I have at home. Very different but rich. I am the richest man on this ferry.

Comments

Unknown said…
I remember hauling up a crab trap when I lived in Prince Rupert BC only to find one measly crab that was barely legal to take. Prince Rupert has the deepest natural harbor on the west coast. My arms were aching by the time I hauled in 100 meters of rope with a crab trap on the end. The energy exhausted was almost not worth the "reward".

Popular Posts