A Punch in the Face



I have over the past few years been quoting Iron Mike Tyson’s “Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. I always looked at the punch as a setback like divorce, poor health, financial problems, an accident, the loss of a loved one. This weekend I learned it can be a positive..
Thirty-six years ago I was Ron Fairchild’s Best Man. He is the brother of my first wife Gayle. He and his wife Kim and I were best of friends.  Well life’s circumstances parted us for 30 years until this weekend. Ron is now a high ranking administrator at an Australian University. They have purchased a cottage here in Ontario because of their ties to family, their love of the beautiful lake district of the Kawartha’s in Ontario and their eventual wish to return home. 
I drove up thinking I would spend a few hours to reconnect and drive the 4 hours’ home. Well there was just too much love lost and love to be regained. We laughed, shared memories, went for a boat cruise, grilled food, drank wine, played ping pong, had a bonfire, stared at the most beautiful moon over Balsam Lake and told jokes and stories until 2 am and I stayed over. It was as if time had stood still. Love and friendship too can knock ya off your guard and have ya stumblin’ to get your footing.

Since this blog is supposed to be about pottery I can only say that like the opening finger marks in a cup or bowl representing the circle of life I can now safely say that all my life’s a circle, sunrise, sundown and moon rolling over the nighttime.

Circle- by Harry Chapin
All my life’s a circle
Sunrise and sundown:
Moon rolls through the nighttime
Till the daybreak comes around.

All my life’s a circle
But I can’t tell you why
Season’s spinning round again
The years keep Rollin ‘by

It seems like I’ve been here before
I can’t remember when
But I have this funny feeling
That we’ll all be together again

No straight lines make up my life
And all my roads have bends
There’s no clear cut beginnings
And so far no dead ends.

(Chorus)
I found you a thousand times
I guess you done the same
But then we lose each other
It’s like a children’s game
As I find you here again
A thought runs through my mind
Our love is like a circle
Let’s go round one more time.


Ron and Kim: Let’s not lose each other ever again. Love T(still the Best Man)




 

Comments

Popular Posts