Roll us another one!

When I first learned how to make and attach a wet thrown spout to a teapot I was so excited I threw 90 teapots that day. I was young and stupid and the teapots were not much to look at. More less a straight sided jar with a lid, a handle and my new found skill- the wet spout.  No embellishments what so ever. It took me more than a week to trim, handle and spout the teapots. Still to this day I think it takes me longer to make the spout than it does the teapot.
This spring Heather Smit was here at Pinecroft and demonstrated the roll your own slab spout. It is taking me some practice rolling the clay fresh/clean with that look of not being touched that I so like in additions like spouts and handles. The beauty of the roll yer own is that it won't twist in the firing. I confronted my fears this morning and did a half a dozen teapots. The Hot Potatoes land here tomorrow so I will be unloading The Champ, grinding and cleaning up the kiln and kiln site. Unwrapping the presents is always a lot of excitement but the clean up afterwards is almost as daunting as 90 teapots waiting for spouts.
Little Brown Betty's 

These small teapots can handle (har, har) a back handle. Back handles on big teapots are heavy and awkward to lift. I wanted some pots for under 6" pots so these come close. A week today I get my hand job so I'm trying to get some inventory built up in case Rosey Palm gives me some trouble and I can't make pots for a few weeks.
Confront your fears and sit back and roll yourself a couple. You can't believe how good it feels once you've finished.
6 roll yer owns

Comments

Popular Posts