The Cactus Lounge Book Club

The Cactus Lounge Book Club has a membership of one- me. I've been reading a book a week for the past month and it has been really enjoyable. I've been a reader all my life. It was the payment I got for working at my Uncle Jimmie's pottery. I could have any book I wanted so I made sure I got paid something for wedging clay, slip casting bowls and pansy pots. Oh yeah, they would take me out for Chinese food and a couple of plays each summer at the Stratford Festival. I somehow feel it is at Stratford I found a love of teaching- a stage and an audience.
My southern buddy Doc usually asks for a book  recommendation for his ladies at Christmas. Book lovers this is for you.
 Educated by Tara Westover tops the list. Wow, I couldn't put that book down. I stayed up way past jammie time reading that one. It is so engaging, frightening and at times so uncomfortable. It about family loyalty and how sometimes you must sever the connection to be you.

#2 Bel Canto by Ann Patchett- I also ate this book up. It made me really uncomfortable at times and I disliked all of the characters except the woman guerrilla. It is a great book about music,  politics and love.

#3 Warlight by Michael Ondaatje- I struggled with this one. In fact when finished I couldn't remember if I had read it. This book is no "The English Patient".

#4 Calypso by David Sedaris- My daughter Robin recommended this one and it just arrived today. We both just crack up over  David Sedaris's sense of humour. I need some humour after those other books. I also follow Amy Sedaris on Instagram. She has a great sense of weird.
If you read you learn. I think it is just that simple.


Comments

smartcat said…
Reading is one of the great joys of my life. People thought we were so funny for starting to read poetry to our sun when he was three weeks old, but that was the beginning of his love of books!
The added bonus, for me, that a lot of my imagery is inspired by stories.
We first heard David Sedaris on NPR when he read the Christmas Diaries. What a hoot!

Popular Posts