Average Work

Multi-tasking is the perfect delivery system for doing average work. To do your best work you have to be full on. I haven't made pots for weeks. I've been multi tasking. Teaching 2 days a week, splitting wood, repairing wood kiln, groceries, laundry, lawn and gardening, car shopping, cycling and well ya know life's maintenance. Now my dentist wants me to brush my teeth 3 times a day for 5 minutes a brush. Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. I'm trying to leave the pot making for a week when Mother Hubbards cupboard ain't bare, the grass gives me a break, the wood is all split, I take a week off from teaching, I have bought the car and my mind is on the prize (some good pots). Most people are happy with Ok and they give up there. It is a lot of work to get good. A lot more work to get excellent. Some and make that very few work hard enough to be great. You've all heard of Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour theory. Want a good golf swing? Want a good tennis serve? Want to make some decent pots- 10,0000 hours. Nope that just won't cut it for good pots. That ain't near enough time. Robin Hopper was one of the giants shoulders I stood on. There have been many. Robin maintained it took 7 years to learn how to make a pot and another 10 years to develop a signature. So 17 years x 40 hours a week times 50 weeks a year. I gave ya weekends and two weeks holidays a year. That rarely happens in the world of the self employed. So clock in 34,000 hours and you will be good and then ya can start thinking about being excellent. I love diners and I love diner cups. If you want to make average pots then you better price them to compete with this diner cup. Cheap and durable. You ain't got a chance. We as modern day potters need to make pots people want not ones they need. You need a good cup that diner cup is a dandy.
That little free mark on the handle is the best.

Comments

gz said…
Too true.
I need someone else to do the housework and grow the food.....
Anonymous said…
Only 3 times a day?
I brush my teeth at least 5 times a day,
I hope after all these years I haven't worn them out with excess brushing.

MMM
Anonymous said…
With practice the craft will come almost of itself, in spite of you and all the more easily if you think of something besides technique.

Paul

Popular Posts