Beyond Lazy

I'm so far beyond lazy. I work like a god. (god is dog spelled backwards and evil is live spelled backwards. Hmmmm! I'm wild and kind, in fact that's my job.- Rob Brezney I had two seperate people tell me this weekend at Ash and Barrel that they were glad to see me writing again. My oldest high school buddy says he worries about me when he knows I'm not making pots and not writing. I'm reading the Hiut Denim Company's manual for Creativity. This may explain why I'm writing again. In order for us to do our very best work we must have three things in place. A three legged stool is the metaphor for our life. These three things must be in balance. Emotional Stability Physical Stability Financial Stability Emotional Stability- I kick my own ass. I push my own buttons. I know what I don't want to do. I know what I want to do. Coming home from Mississippi had me thinking long and hard about the amazing web of friends I have nurtured. This makes my heart swell. Physical Stability- As many of you know I have developed a new habit and that habit has become me. I ride my bike between 27 and 40k every day. I feel better. I look better. Mostly, I think I have more energy to work.When you feel that you look good you try even harder. Financial Stability- Once I realized that my job was to be wild and kind I embraced teaching one day throwing classes at Pinecroft. I do this 2 days a week. It gives me the stability to think about making my best work. No need to be the scared rabbit making production work when that is not my real passion. When you realize that your job is to be wild and crazy you have to show up with that face on. You have to have a good time so that it rubs off on people seeking a good time. They are paying to be turned on not turned off. Here are some of their pots. They have never touched clay before. We start at 9:30 and they practice centering for an hour. Then cylinders for an hour, then at 11:30 we walk across the pond spillway for a wonderful lunch at The Green Frog, Then 12:30 to 2:30 bowls and cylinders again. I trim and handle them the next day. They can have any colour they want as long as it's white.
As I enter the last quarter of my life I realize I only have so many pots left in these hands so don't waste time on doing mediocre. There is plenty of work to do before I get down to pots. I always work better when I know the wood is prepared for the firing.
These boots were made for workin'!When I first put these boots on they were so uncomfortable. Now after hundreds of hours of work they fit like a glove- so comfy.

Comments

gz said…
I like that three legged stool analogy.
It can be difficult to attain, but it's worth it
Anonymous said…
A Tribute: The Pots and Passion of Walter Ostrom

Monday to Friday, July 3 – July 14, 2023
9:00am – 4:00pm

We are thrilled to offer a unique event to celebrate the legacy of Walter Ostrom’s teachings. This event features a diverse series of daily lectures, demonstrations, and informal conversations with some of the world’s leading Ceramic practitioners.

https://lunenburgarts.org/workshops/a-tribute-the-pots-and-passion-of-walter-ostrom/
Anonymous said…
Use this 2-word phrase when your boss asks you to do more work than you have time to do.

"Yes, and …"
After the "and," state that it can't be done right away.

"Yes, and I can get to that in a couple weeks."

So what do you say?

MT
Anonymous said…
Pilots and Aviation Professionals

MAKE A

CONFIDENTIAL REPORT

https://www.narcap.org/
Anonymous said…
A life of mediocrity is a waste of life.

CH
Anonymous said…
Being practical and realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.

Will
PC said…
When you make work from your soul people know and they buy it. That is one if the most meaningful parts of being an artist. Authenticity and talent create financial stability along with emotional stability and an authentic life. Makers make a real living. Those that pretend don't. You can fool yourself but not everyone else. People recognize authenticity.

Popular Posts