They have a right to be wrong

Dan told me I had to up the prices of my little espresso cups from $20 to $50. I got cold feet and priced them at $40 which is still double what I would have charged. So at the Guelph Potters Market I sold 2 cups. I was so happy with this that today I made some swirl cups that are even more funky. If the cups had been a runaway success I wouldn't be making them today. I always shy away from success.
Swirl starts with hot crossed buns.

These little cups are alive and I will await people's recognition of same. I saw lots of big cups with handles that you could put your fist through being sold. Those customers all have a right to be wrong.
Perhaps pricing the cups higher is a variation of the Bob Briscoe theory of don't take any cups to a show because people will buy your cups and not your higher priced items. I sold the higher priced items this weekend and not the cups. So thanks Dan and Bob. I love making cups and think I make a really nice one. I'm in the make less mode so I don't freak out when I bring pots home and especially ones I like. I need them for the next show or gig.
Nice wee cups on those handles.

 A cup is your calling card. If someone picks it every morning for their bevy then you just put your business card in their hand. Cups are the most personal objects that we make. They should be priced in the hundreds of dollars. We have a lot to learn from the Eastern cultures.
Soft sweet Hagi- a cup that you could live with forever.

Comments

John Bauman said…
Excellent post, Tony.

"A cup is your calling card. If someone picks it every morning for their bevy then you just put your business card in their hand. Cups are the most personal objects that we make. "

I had that discussion with Danny Meisenger earlier this month in Kansas City. Danny came over to my booth with a big smile on his face. Of course, a big smile is Danny's typical countenance, but still....

Anyway, Danny told me that two young women had just stumbled upon his booth (and the art fair) totally unaware that there was an event going on in their neighborhood. Danny explained the art fair to them. That naturally transitioned into conversations about his pottery.

The young women subsequently bought a pair of mugs from Danny. As Danny said it, the young women glowed with the happy feeling of initiation. They were now proud pottery collectors....starting with Danny's mugs.

Mugs. The gateway pot.
gz said…
"The Gateway Pot"..exactly so, John, and Tony.
Ashley said…
I once heard this story from my pottery instructor (David Settles). He was teaching a class and the topic of conversation turned to the price of a good mug. Some lady in the class said that "a good mug is priceless". When pressed on how much she would buy said mug for, she said, "oh, well, I wouldn't pay more than $8". This was back in the late 80's or maybe the early 90's. I sure hope her attitude changed after learning about all the crap that goes into making a good mug.
Anonymous said…
If a cup isn't pretty, it helps if it has a good personality.
That'll make it a $50 mug.

Popular Posts