Surround yourself with love

Perhaps I was unfair in my last blog post. Not everyone takes up pottery to be at the top of their game. Not everyone skiis or cycles wanting to be a competitor. Some just want a fun hobby and that's fair enough. I apologize! However I am a firm believer you should surround yourself with the best pots you can afford. You should educate your company on form, esthetic sensibilities and fill your home with narratives from the road and your journey. How unclassy to put a cardboard cream container on the table of an invited guest. You were brought up better than that. In a dream I could have company over for lunch once this COVID stain is over. How about a quiet conversation with the likes of young Emma Smith. I could go on at lengths about what a power house this young potter is. Or on another day I might bring out Diana Kersey from San Antonio, Texas. I went there to do a workshop at the invite of Gay Judson from Clayart and on route met a long time friend Bev Norton Walker in Oklahoma City, Okie. Bev was the first woman I ever met that was packing. She still scares the shit outta me. Then if I want to see what my company is made of I bring out a Jen Drysdale or a Bruce Dehnert. These are pots that don't look like pottery. If company says nothing never invite them back- they are boring. Every pot in my house has a narrative of love. I know everyone that made the hundreds of pots in my home. I don't have any pots from anyone that doesn't like me. I am a believer in kharma. Even if you don't want to be a competitor I think you should surround yourself with the best pots and the best books. They don't talk back and they are sure to inform you.

Comments

Kaycee said…
love the blog, keep reading if you keep writing
stay safe and be well, wherever you are and wherever your going
Anonymous said…
If you have a beautiful pot, why would you serve cream in cardboard? Invite your guests to your table, invite them to serve themselves using your treasured pottery and then as host serve and watch them enjoy it-such a pleasure in that. Surround yourself with beauty, use it and show that yes you were brought up better than that. Graciousness, beauty, manners, thoughtfulness, chivalry, respect for others....it is not a bad way to live your life, as you know kindness and respect go a long way. Everyone is different and if everyone respected that what a world it would be!!!
Anonymous said…
......everyone that made the hundreds of pots in my home. I don't have any pots from anyone that doesn't like me. I am a believer in kharma. Such an interesting commentary on yourself, no pots from anyone that doesn't like you. Why is that, it feels disturbing to hear someone say something like that? Do you have pots from anyone you don't like, or are they considered to be inferior? Is it a statement on the hundreds of people that like you? Does that make you more likable? If they don't like you, are they inferior, and is that a valid judgment of a persons work? Certainly a judgement and we in the circle of clay have heard your judgements of some and defining terms of others as they work their way in. Karma certainly has its way with the world, and I wonder what it might think of such a statement.
Tony Clennell said…
Firstly thank you Kaycee and Anonymous. I agree that my statement about pots by people that like me was poorly worded. I have pots from people that I have met and liked.It's a bit like hanging out with them again. I stand corrected. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
Apparently brown-nosers make the best pots. I guess that philosophy works in school and for some people in life.
Sherry@nceca.net said…
Anonymous, brown nosing works for some, but hopefully there are enough out there that recognize good work without needing validation by a "pro". But sadly yes, there is a strong element of brown nosing around, sometimes that level of self importance is too much to overcome.
Anonymous said…
persnickety
Anonymous said…
Loving yourself does not mean being self-absorbed or narcissistic, or disregarding others. Rather it means welcoming yourself as the most honored guest in your own heart, a guest worthy of respect, a lovable companion." —Margo Anand

Popular Posts