In case of a house fire

Let's hope it never happens to y'all but what would you run in and grab if the house was on fire. Would go for the most valuable or the one that would break your heart if it was gone? In some ways as we age we are going to have to face the same decision as your house being on fire. What are ya going to take to your little scaled down living quarters? What am I going to do with the hundreds of pots, the hundreds of bits of visual art and treasures I have collected. Every single piece of fine craft or art has a story behind it. It is my story, not my kids story, not my best friends story but my story and mine alone in 99% of the cases. Would I run into a flaming house to save a treasured Windor Chair, an armful of Ronnie the Rats,my Clyde Jones two snakes with buckhorn eyes, the wonderful drawings in a book by Chuck Hindes, a selection of eclectic art, some photos, cards and letters that mean so much to me. Some how it seems so much more horrible to have them burn than to end up in a yard sale or Art auction somewhere, sometime in the coming years. Who would know their value? At this point they are priceless to me and not for sale at any price. The Art in my house is a diary of my life. I talked to my daughter Robin about her coming here and we document the collection with a picture, a catalogue number and a brief description of it provedence. That way the Korean Yi Dynasty unsigned rice bowl will not go to the street in the final yard sale. In case we never get it done I'd have Robin call my two former students and friends Emma Smith and Andrew Kellner. They know pots! They collect good pots and know who is who, where and possible value. I guess in the long run they are just things so if ya have one maybe ya better run in and grab your partner first and with the other arm grab the rat off the wall.

Comments

gz said…
The last choice is good!

Documenting your collection is a good idea...must do mine
Anonymous said…
Better thin the heard now, cause you can't take it with you.

Hand out coloured stickers to your best peps, and let them claim your prized possessions now,
so there is no fighting over all that loot once you are gone.

Can we come by your house, to have a preview of the estate sale, or will you be posting pictures and details of your collection on-line?

Smoothie.
Anonymous said…
Beware the AI Terminator is here.

Multiple fully Tesla-made bots now walking around & learning about the real world.
Beware Elon Musks Optimus robots, the danger is real and happening now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiQkeWOFwmk

JC
Anonymous said…
James Cameron on Dangers of AI 40 Years After 'Terminator': 'I Warned You Guys...and You Didn't Listen'

https://people.com/james-cameron-dangers-artificial-intelligence-40-years-after-terminator-warned-you-7563101

Anonymous said…
When's the fire sale happening?

I'll be there!

TNT
Cyndi said…
As you know, T, I am packing everything up and downsizing. My daughter called me and said “DO NOT” give any of your art collection away. It’s yours. It’s you. You have spent years collecting those pieces for a reason. Find the space to place it in your new home. As I pack each piece, I have been reminding myself of her comment.

Popular Posts