Finger condoms




Last week we loaded the train and started it up only to find out it was a "Red Day" and therefore due to pollution we had to abort the start of the firing. A week later we got a "Green Day" and pulled outta the station. We had a 45 hour long firing to Cone 8 using some of the shittiest wood on the planet earth. Most people would take cottonwood to the dump. Check out the bark on this tree in the land ladies backyard. We try to put thru as much bark as possible for big time surface on the ware. If you think wood firing is a picnic check out the insulated pants I'm wearing to withstand the cold of the Rockie Mountains.
I've been complaining that my fingers are splitting open from the dry Utah climate so at night while I was sleeping the studio pranksters put a finger condom on the harp of John's that I'm using. They left a can of Bag Balm and two dozen finger condoms.

Comments

Alex Solla said…
Wrap those rascals!!!

And stay away from cottonwood. It will add too much roughage to your diet.
Togeika said…
I call them Leprechaun condoms. I have had to wear one on my right index finger every since I put it cut into a saturated soda ash solution. It looks just fine until I start glazing. Then it turns into a mummy finger if I don't cover it. And I messed it up about 3 years ago.
Linda Starr said…
That willow tree looks like the one we had to cut down here because it was so rotted and threatened to take out my little studio building. I thought I'd use the wood for a barrel firing. It was so rotted and light I could have balanced a round on one finger (not a condom finger though). So we burned the wood in our clean up pile and got some other suitable wood, eucalyptus and avocado and popular for kindling. We have the same burning restrictions here - burn and no burn days. I have noticed no burn days seem to be on weekends when folks are home and ready to burn.
Craig Edwards said…
Cottonwood is more cotton than wood!!! 45 hours... long time for you. So far we don't have red and green days.
Anonymous said…
It's because you're not drinking enough water. 'course that means you'd have to pee more. Glad to see the suffering, though
h103 said…
I've tried throwing with finger cots a few times, but the rolly bit always catches the clay and leaves marks where I don't want them, so I've switched to nitrile gloves whenever my fingers get too bad to throw naked.

I prefer a really stiff 25% or higher shea balm rather than bag balm. One of these days, I think the shea farmers may simply start handing me stock certificates. heh!
Togeika said…
I have always wondered if Kid skin gloves would work for throwing.

Popular Posts