Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Heavy Metal





It appears that glossy/shiny,smooth is functional and matte, dry, crusty is art. I unloaded our glaze firing the other day and thought maybe I'd do a quick firing of some pots without glaze and cool them in reduction. I fired quickly to Cone 9 and turned the burners off, closed the damper until there was only a small opening for flame to pass thru and left all 8 pilots on. I fired down to 1450. Our clay body on it's own wasn't all that interesting however I did like the gun metal black of the pots sprayed with laterite. I do like the texture of the stamping on the unglazed ware. Sometime glazes can pool and break to give a beautiful texture but leaving the surface alone made them almost metal like.
Please excuse the commercial handles but I wanted to show ya the reduction coooooool and I'm pacing the floors worrying about my teaching in Italy. Usually I'm very fond of lots of ash.

2 comments:

bighillpottery said...

Tony these are amazing, i love that metallic look! are you worried about the content of the workshop, or just the actual trip over there i wonder??? Go pace outside in the garden....i'm sure you'll be wonderful whatever you do - but i can imagine it would be a bit nerve wrecking....good luck with it! Italy is probably THE place in the world i want to visit most...well, maybe one day!
cheers and just keep breathing :)
linda

madpotter1 said...

OOoo La-la on that black tea pot!

very sexy, those black pots....... almost as sexy as
as F150!

Bon Voyage kids!