The Covid Blues

A couple of weeks ago I decided I would resurrect my Uncle Jimmie's old ball mill and mill  some blue bottle glass to sprinkle over my glazed pots going into the kiln. I liked the results and began a search for blue glass. I found a Los Arango Tequila Resposado at $52.00 a bottle. I thought holy shit this is going to be more expensive than tin or cobalt.  The tequila was named in honour of Pancho Villa. Everyone needs a hero these days.  Even heroes need heroes. Happy Father's Day to all the good dads out there. 
I happened to mention I needed blue glass bottles to a long time friend that had come over for a coffee. She went home and set to work drinking Pino Grigio in a blue bottle. To protect her identity and reputation I'll just say thanks a bunch. 
I'm naming this glaze Covid Blue.  Hey friend you can slow down on the consumption for my sakes. I think I have enough to last me quite a long time. 
I was enjoying the Pancho Villa tequila  and now I have no excuse to buy the expensive stuff just for the blue glass.
I've decided to paint my living room yellow. I have a couple of old painted blue cupboards that I think will look awesome against yellow. Yellow and blue are my favourite colours.  Like all small jobs we underestimate all that comes along with that. I spent the day tearing out an old mirror, putting up trim, patching holes, and running back and forth to the hardware store. 
Along with the Covid Blues has come some time to do things we thought of doing but never had the time. 
Be well and safe my brothers and sisters of clay. T

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would have gone for the Vicks VapoRub jar.
Would have cleared the congestion while firing the kiln.
Linda Starr said…
many folks have blue bottle trees in their yards, you know the ones with the bottles shoved onto ends of bare stems. I've melted glass in some of my pottery and it takes very little so those bottles are going to last a good long time
Anonymous said…
Every time I've seen ceramics with glass, they put way too much glass in the bottom. It is way too thick and cracks and splinters, if you touch it you end up cutting your finger or getting a glass splinter in it. Good advice to use very little, less is more.
Anonymous said…
Holy.....that must be one very good friend to drink that much wine for you.
Anonymous said…
Friends who share are the best, but I like friends that give you full bottles, not just the empties.
Tony Clennell said…
I agree Linda. I used to pile it in the bottom and it was razor sharp. thanks for warning people. T
Anonymous said…
Has anyone seen a solar ceramic kiln in operation?
Can it only be used for biscuit firing or can you glaze fire in it?

How big a magnifying glass do you need to concentrate the sunlight to heat a kin?

Just thinking about how I can be more green, and use that free sunlight instead of traditional energy sources.

CP
RichardA said…
Tony, have fun with that ball mill. I found that ball milling my wood ash with various oxides and materials made for some interesting effects I'd not seen before. Only problem is the mill with pebbles makes so much noise you have to pick and choose your milling times very carefully. Oh, we're converting the new home to look the way we want it to, and your big jug has a prime place of honor in the sun room. Stay well brother.
Anonymous said…
How do you grind the glass down to a powder with a hammer and the glass in a plastic bag?
Anonymous said…
Dick: What a great idea- ash wit oxides. This grinding the glass is taking one @#$ of a lot of time. Thanks brother. Be well. T
Anonymous said…
Alternatives to toilet paper if the Covid-19 hoarding continues and store shelves remain empty.

Toilet Paper Is A Very Recent Invention
The Chinese were the first to use paper for sanitary purposes, but the widespread use of toilet paper didn’t occur until 1857. Before that, most people used things like leaves, rags, a wet cloth on a stick, or even their hands.

Just the thought of going No. 2 without toilet paper probably makes a lot of people queasy. That’s why it’s important to count your blessings and remember that humans survived for a long time without proper sanitary cloths.

Since most homes don't get newspapers or telephone books anymore, you might think about using all that junk mail you get as an emergency alternative to toilet paper.

Popular Posts