Happy People

At the checkout of every grocery and convenience store I've been in for the past few years there is a feature article on mindfulness. Mindfulness is the 2000 version of the 70's fondue pot. Everyone is doing it, I had better do it too. Mindfulness sends people off to retreats, yoga camps, monasteries and libraries full of self help books. Music is my biggest form of mindfulness. I love to listen to great singer song writers. A cheap bottle of wine, a nice dinner and the tunes turned up on Saturday night is my retreat, yoga camp and the monastery that I worship in. I bet y'all can tell that much of the inspiration in my blog is music driven. Often times I think the songwriter wrote the song just for little ole me. Today I listened to Lori McKenna "Happy People". Happy people don't cheat Happy people don't lie They don't judge or hold a grudge They don't criticize Happy people don't hate Happy people don't steal All the hurt sure ain't worth The guilt they feel [Chorus] So if you wanna know the secret You can't buy it, gotta make it You ain't ever gonna be it By takin' someone else's away Never take it for granted You don't have to understand it Just do whatever puts a smile on your face Whatever makes you happy people So it ain't Saturday, it's Tuesday and I went out and bought a cheap bottle of wine and I'm going to draw and paint. It's what makes me happy. It's a collaboration. Collaborations are stressful. Here is a wee teapot I collaborated with Heather Smit during our residency at Starworks. Heather put 5 teapot bodies in my space and I deliberated over them for 5 days before I could do anything. It was a wonderful time with dare I say it "mindfulness".
So my friend Louise brought me home this absolutely beautiful hand made paper book from Bhutan(the happiest people in the world). I stared at it for a month and wondered how I could make it more beautiful than it is all buck naked. A week ago I decided I would write sentences in it that connected with me. Tonight I'm going to draw and paint pots over the words. I've always wanted to write a narrative on my pots. This may be the beginning of writing on pots. Only The Bray will tell.

Comments

gz said…
That one about teaching children to draw within the lines...yes, too true
Kileh Friedman said…
You are a poet Tony. A poet potter.
Anonymous said…
popular Japanese art form known as etegami

http://etegamibydosankodebbie.blogspot.com/
Anonymous said…
Thanks Tony. Glad the book is inspiring you !
LM
Anonymous said…
That magical moment your child starts coloring inside the lines.

Coloring inside the lines represents structure and rule following, and is one of the first markers that a child is learning in an academic setting.

Coloring inside the lines requires the ability to plan, organize, and stay within a framework without getting distracted.

On the other hand, have you wondered why chinese students are flooding western universities, not just for spying and stealing information, but to learn creative thinking.

So enjoy science fiction and coloring outside the lines.

Mitzi
Anonymous said…
Is it really you?
How do we know if it's really you, or AI writing your blog posts?

CP.
Anonymous said…
The Community Arts Council of Vancouver (CACV) was the first arts council in North America. Since its beginning in 1946, the Community Arts Council of Vancouver has been a contributor to shaping the cultural life of Vancouver. CACV has been a powerful force in creating and advocating for many of the institutions, traditions, and policies in Vancouver that we benefit from today. CACV is an independent non-profit organization, registered charity, unaffiliated with any government department.

https://www.cacv.ca/

Anonymous said…
the top seven happiest countries in the world were all Northern European countries. Finland took top honors—for the fourth year in a row, followed (in order) by Denmark, Switzerland, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden. Honorable Mention: Bhutan. Bhutan, once again provided an inspiring example for the world about how to combine health and happiness.

So if you want to check out the happiest place on earth, don't head to DisneyLand or Disney World, travel to Northern Europe or Bhutan. Hints for your next vacation?

TT
Anonymous said…
Ribbons for Trash Fashion - Canada

http://mailartprojects.blogspot.com/2023/03/ribbons-for-trash-fashion-usa.html

Popular Posts