It ain't over!

In the wise words of baseballs Yogi Berra "it ain't over until it's over!" This post could have been entitled "expectations". I was expecting this and got that.
I completely missed trapping the carbon and I know why. I always add a small fresh batch to an old batch and at the very least I put the shino thru the Talisman screen again. Seems the soda ash needs waking up again. Some cups glazed for the past firing and sat around for a couple of weeks came out nice and smokey as I expected. I used to think the soda ash travelled off into La-la Land if I let it sit for sometime. Trash that theory. So I'm reglazing using a dark blue celedon over the shino. I mixed up a paste to add to the celedon. I will paint on two coats. The paste is as follows: Suspension of Glaze per litre of water Borax 4 Mag Carb 4 Bentonite 40 GMC Gum 4 mix with a litre of boiling hot water. Let stand overnight. Mix into a bowl of your glaze. Brush on. I'm going to apply a second coat when it dries in the morning. We'll see!. In my younger years I would have taken the pot directly to the trash thinking I could make them faster than farting around trying to make em pretty. I have only so many pots left in these hands and I have alot of time/energy invested so if your expectations are not met on the first go around, try again and if that fails scratch your bum and come up with a new solution. I'm already thinking of sandblasting them. Here's the muck
What else is someone doing on a Saturday Night?

Comments

Unknown said…
Where your work has developed since Wiarton Tony!
My cottagr is near Haliburton and have been going there since the 1990's. Helen McCusker told me you were on staff in 2019. Coming back? Cathy Uffen zeta43@gmail.com

Popular Posts