The Pot er er makes Pot tree

Both the following cartoons bring back memories. The first one of the iceberg of Artist's work.
My Uncle Jimmie maintained that making pots which what he enjoyed the most took up about 10% of his time. I list in my book "Stuck in the Mud 40" other jobs that are necessary to do get a pot for sale. This list doesn't include all the administrivia that seems to consume a day.People ask why do you do Instagram and Facebook? It's quite simply part of the bizz. The world will only beat a path to your door if they know who you are, your pedigree, your work and where ya hail from. Lucky are those that don't need this distribution method. I've had the farm gate studios twice before and they are awesome to be sure. You do however have to be present almost all the time. The minute to skip out to the bank a customer will arrive and you will return to a note "I was here, where were you?" You may have just lost a good customer that travelled to see you and your work. The second is one that brings back memories of my mum. Mum and Dad were so proud of their third son going to University and getting two degrees. I remember telling them I wanted to be a potter. My mum said "Why did you need two University degrees to make "pot tree"? That is what she called pottery.
I guess I might have been a gifted kid. I skipped Grade 4 and got kicked outta gym class in high school for civil disobedience. I locked the gym teacher in the washroom and dismissed the class. They thought the strap would make me cry. It didn't! I was standing up for a friend whose mum and dad were deaf and dumb(dumb doesn't seem like the right word) and my friend had a funny voice and was quite effeminute. The gym teacher kept calling him "dear" and that was more than I could handle. I don't know if the gym teacher continued to haress my friend as I was sent to the library to spend the year. I couldn't have been happier. So mum parts one and three of the cartoon are true. I don't think you and dad would be see me as a burned out disappointment. There is snow on the mountain but a fire down below. I feel better than I did at 35 and still love my work. I am truly a mature not old weirdo with a basement studio. It beats the guys my age sitting at McDonald's gossiping and reading what the Walmart specials are. I figure when a passion gives you a livlihood you are one lucky Poterer. That was another one of my mothers words: pot er er!

Comments

gz said…
Well done for standing up for him. I wonder where he is now?

And well done for sticking to (!!) Clay
Cyndi said…
Love this, T. Great post.
Anonymous said…
Rat bastard gym teacher, I hope there is a special place in hell for him!

Max

Popular Posts