A frosty day in Hell

We got 10 bundles of pine delivered yesterday to fire The Champ. The Amish have embraced technology and bought a machine to take the bark off the wood. I have found the bark delivers the best ash and colour to the pots so I'm rather bummed. I'll figure it out somehow. We have 50 acres of pine around Pinecroft so I ought to be able to find a few branches to throw in .
First the Amish bought a machine that cut the wood into firewood length that is no good for my 4 foot long firebox and now the de barker. They figured out they could sell the bark to landscapers and make even more money.
Pine is not my favourite wood for wood firing. Ash is the Bomb. It is high in Btu's, it splits nicely,  short hot flame, doesn't coal up  and it delivers the kind of punch I love on the surface of the ware.
So to get a wet juicy look on the pots I ain't ever going to introduce soda or salt . It will be a frosty day in hell before I do that. I'm a purist!
I'm back in the wood lot again. I bitch and complain about how much work it is but I'm happy doing mindless work, enjoying the fresh air, the occasional sighting  of a cardinal and the satisfaction of a days work. Simple I know but then that's my life.
Pine- bark naked

Nothing like a piece of ash. 

Comments

gz said…
wood stacks..a beautiful sight! looks like you'll have to buy the bark separately....

Popular Posts