Why Shop Local?????

I try as best I can to support my local businesses here in MyTown,

Canada. This past few days has brought up a few questions.
When I started my car to return from presenting at The Ceramics Functional Show in Wooster, Ohio my check engine light and 4 wheel drive locked lights were on. I wanted to get home to MyTown to have the work done. A visit to my mechanic Adam Kennedy had him check the cars computer and had me come back next day. The computer said there was a sensor on the computer out of whack. He did his homework at night to find a customer that had a squirrel chew the wiring harness. Toyota replaced the entire wiring harness at $4000 in parts and $1000 in labour. So Adam pops the lid and says " I see bare wires, acorns and walnuts!!! He removes a pile of gadgets splices the wires together and I get a bill for $89. Thank you, Adam. I now want jambalaya with squirrel parts in it. So glad I live in small town Ontario where people know how to fix things and not just replace things.
Then I take my sexy Italian handmade eye glass frames to the local optometrist to have prescription lenses put in them. Their price $705. I thought holy shit I think that will have to wait. I then go to Walmart and get the very same prescription progressives, bifocal, for $261. Almost $500 difference. I can't on potter's wages swallow that kind of difference. I hate Walmart. I hate how they under pay their employees but i can't afford that kind of margin. I don't feel good about the Walmart decision but low income people have to make decisions to stay afloat. I live below Canada's Poverty line and live very well. I am the richest man on my street.

Comments

Unknown said…
Have you a Costco?
gz said…
Its a hard decision when you want to support local
Tony Clennell said…
There is a Costco in my nearest big city. I am more of a European type shopper in that I shop fresh every couple of days. I don't buy in big quantities. I think this could be the reason for obesity being a problem here in North America. If I bought a 24 pack of Snickers I'd eat them all because they were there. I do shop local for my food- Amish for veg, Uncle Donny and Aunt Nancy for meat.
Tony Clennell said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
you got censored!

Popular Posts