Oh my!

When I started making pots over 4 decades ago you made your own clay, glazes and most likely built your own kiln. There were probably a dozen books on pottery. Man, how how things have changed. A six week night class at the local guild and you have a name for your pottery, an Etsy account selling your work, you're teaching lessons and you're a potter. This will no doubt get me in trouble but it is such a disservice to our craft. I took up knitting and I'm now taking orders for slippers.
Plumbers and electricians have much higher standards of professionalism than we do. I guess that's why they can charge more per hour. I just revisited a podcast with Paul Blais which was an interview I did some 8 years ago entitled "The Power of Relationships." http://thepotterscast.com/84 I listened to it tonight while preparing my Saturday night romantic dinner with myself. It was reaffirming to me how much I believe my friends and family have been the rock of my life. Without their love and friendship I don't think I could have endured the rough seas. Making good pots is not a hobby, It is a conviction. Being a good skiier, a good cyclist, a good pool player is not a weekend flirtation. It is a big commitment. It is a passion! It is a force that drives you.
I saw a sign today that said "Our firewood is organic!". WTF do you mean? The maple tree wasn't sprayed! My goodness! What has it all come down to?

Comments

Unknown said…
Tony,Harro would like to order some Socks from you. Size 13 with reinforced heels and toes .January is almost done, the days are getting longer.
Will trade for gluten free firewood.
Greetings Anke and Harro
smartcat said…
The thing that gets me the most is those who refer to 'playing with clay', as though it's a step up from play-doh.
Can't say more or this will turn into a rant. 😡 👿
BTW, love the slippers. Toes crossed you remembered to copyright the design. 🤭
Anonymous said…
To late with the copyright, they are already producing knock offs in a factory in China.
So Sorry.
Anonymous said…
All the best artist wear socks of a different color, keep up the good work knitting those slippers. May be you could join a knitting circle, since I can see from your output that you could use a little instruction from an experienced and qualified knitter.
Anonymous said…
Has your guild membership been revoked?
Is it time to start a petition?
Anonymous said…
I know someone who can coil and make pinch pots and is teaching in a community college in Ontario, see you don't need those thousand hours anymore.
Anonymous said…
I can't tell from that photo of you wearing your woolen slippers,
but do you shave your legs?

Popular Posts