Why did you become a potter?

During a workshop I always ask participants what drew them to clay? This is usually after I have explained that I became a potter for the usual reasons- romance, adventure,fame, riches, travel. Well how's that going, Tony? I thought it was going pretty well up until Lady COVUD arrived and I scurried home across the border to find myself almost totally home bound. I don't think I have ever been bored in my life. There is always something to do that interests me. It certainly has affected my writing of this blog as I don't go anywhere or see anyone. I now find a half a day in the studio suits me. It's not really even a half day. I probably average 3-4 hours per day. I think I am doing that because of a engrained Protestant work ethic. I had convinced myself that I hated winter and especially the four letter word SNOW. Now I start the day happy that there is a small landing of snow that I can ride my bike through. It makes all the difference in the world how you approach your day. Most Canadians are weather hounds and now even more so for this dawg. I check the weather before bed, look at the weekly forecast, look at the wind speed and direction in the morning. This is all the result of my new addiction- cycling. Today I went to White's Woods for 10K of cross country and then home for the 3-4 hours in the studio and then back out on my road bike for 20k more. Minus 1 degree C today was almost balmy. During lock down we are allowed to exercise so that gets me out. In the woods I am happy to see people. Some are alone, some are families, some are holding hands and some look miserable. Even my happy face can't get their stone faces to crack a smile. thankful I have embraced winter. It is keeping me from being that miserable guy with the stone face walking in the woods saying under my breath- I hate this f-ing sh#t! I am

Comments

Helga said…
I love playing with clay dirt.
Anonymous said…
well the stone faced reception could be because you are an older single white male, better known as stranger danger?
Anonymous said…
You should get mentored in creativity by Reid Flock, it worked for me!
Anonymous said…
Are you ready for a rocking chair in front of a window, so you can watch the world pass by?

Popular Posts