When does Craft become Art?

It's my last afternoon in the studio before Christmas. I have some reclaim drying on plaster batts for a little making on Christmas Day. I'm alone on Christmas Day and I make a wonderful day of it. I make bacon and eggs and open a Newcastle Brown Ale and toast my Dad who used to make us kids a shandy which was 90% ginger ale and 10% Nukie Brown Ale. We thought we were big shot grown ups. Miss ya Dad! I'll phone family and friends, maybe have a nap, read a book and make myself a killer seafood supper- oysters, mussels, and maybe a lobster tail. I made a few more of these platters and thought I didn't want them to be for sushi or a cheese spread. I want them on the wall and possibly taken down to serve a meal. I laid awake last night. I had a tough time sleeping so I thought about these plates and wondered if I should name them. After all Art gets a label and craft gets labeled plate, bowl, cup etc. So I thought about this past year and things that meant something to me. You pick which is which. Having a sauna and then jumping into the lap pool at Tres Maria's in Portugal was soooooooo good. My little house here is such an amazing sanctuary for me and my Art and Fine Craft. Life is a four burner stove as presented by David Sedaris. Four burners family, friends, career and health. I turned up the burner on health. Of course a smiley face for the way I feel. Two long roads which I will travel in 2023. A friend of mine defined Art and Craft this way. Craft you can piss in and Art you can piss on! You can piss on my plates but they will leak on your shoes. All the very best everyone. Love to y'all. Best, T

Comments

Anonymous said…
Don't forget to properly christen those piss platters!
Anonymous said…
Fine Art vs. Craft, In this debate, the lines have become so blurry that I call bullshit.

T. L.
Anonymous said…
You make magic I can hold.

Popular Posts