A pottery not a hospital

I teach a one day throwing class at Pinecroft. Class starts at 9:30 when the students learn to center and make a cylinder by 11:30. Lunch at the Green Frog till 12:30. A tour of the pottery and then bowls until 2:10, clean up and done, adios at 2:30. I want all students to have made a cup and a bowl. I don't make for them. They get what they make. I can't tell you how many students I have had that previously took 6 and 8 week 3 hour classes at other clay centers. Most of them can't even center the clay. By 10:30 they are saying these are better than I made at the end of my course. So lately I've been enquiring Wtf is going on out there. Here are a couple of things. They get a ration of clay that they pay for over and above their tuiton. Therefore clay is precious!!!! At Pinecroft they make a mistake cut it off and I put it thru the pugmill. Clay is unlimited and not precious. They tell me in a three hour class they spend the last hour cleaning, mopping and making sure there isn't a speck of clay anywhere. They also may get a different teacher showing different techniques. Such fun???? Pineroft has been a working studio pottery since 1947. Tons and tons and tons of clay have been moved within those walls. I have visited working potteries in 7 countries around the world. They are potteries not hospitals. Here is another big difference. They get a teacher that has worked in clay for over 6 decades, taught in Canada's best craft and design school- Sheridan College School of Craft and Design, taught well over a hundred workshops worldwide and yes an Mfa from Utah State University (considered by me the best program in the world). Of course I am biased. Also ace up my sleeve is I was nominated and received the RCA designation for my contribution to Art in Canada. Pinecroft is a diamond in the rough. The glaze kitchen has samples of materials no longer available. Samples of uranium glazed plates my Uncle Jimmie formulated in 1939. We have fun and they make some decent pots in one day. When my cousin Brenda teaches between the two of us we offer over a century of moving clay. The advice I gave my kids when they went off to University- pick the teacher not the course. A good teacher makes all the difference in the world.
Pots after one day.
Kiss a frog for the perfect fairy tale wedding or to make better pots. I'm a believer! It has been working.
Some of my Uncle Jimmies glaze tests in 1939 while working at Medicine Hat Potteries the largest stoneware producing company in Canada. Nothing looks better than Grannies purple potatoes cooked in olive oil, sprinkled with Utah mined real salt. Purple and orange- yummy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Be Daring,
Be Different,
Be Impractical.

CB.
Pauline said…
You are a fabulous teacher!! There are not many with your experiences to be found out there, so glad I had the privilege of spending a week in your class in Haliburton. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
smokieclennell said…
AMen CB and thanks a bunch Pauline. T
Anonymous said…
Is the problem with art and craft education that relies on conceptual art, the idea is more important than the actual object? So the conceptual artist or craftsperson has the idea, but they need an assistant or out source production to have an object or piece of pottery made for them. Good luck having a teacher who received this type or craft or art education.

PS. Who needs janitors and cleaning staff, when you can use your students as molly maids.

Toots
Anonymous said…
Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.

CB
Anonymous said…
Cleanliness is next to godliness, and who wants to wear their good clothes to a dirty studio.
Anonymous said…
You're an old school teacher, that kind of dedication to learning and teaching doesn't exist anymore, the modern teacher does the minimum amount of work for what they are paid, and won't go the extra mile or do anything they feel that they are not being paid for. Just think lazy and only wanting to work part=time in a full-time job. Thanks deadwood teachers, but I really must express my respect to those current teachers who are dedicated and do go the extra mile to make the learning experience memorable for both student and teacher.

jammy

Popular Posts