The Times They Are A Changin'






This week I treated myself to some of Matt and Dave's Porcelain for the People. Yep, it's filter pressed and it is expensive. At $1.27 a pound it damn well better be good. Well it threw and trimmed like a dream. Usually if I can throw porcelain I hate trimming it. This seems to have a coarse particle size that makes for trimming with some expression to it. So I figure $38 for 30 pounds will make me 6 teapots. Usually my stoneware teapots are $125. These ones outta porcelain are going to be $160 so that the first one pays for the clay. Don't tell the clay suppliers this or they will stop looking guilty when they charge ya that much for clay.
I tortured this clay. I dipped it in my local slip clay, slaked down the trimmings and mixed in some sand with the casting slip and laid it on thick. It took the punishment.
Well here's how the times are a changin'. Potter's are making more precious pots. People buy one of your gorgeous cups and not for a family of 5. They want precious, they want individual and they are downsizing. The cost of the materials just get passed on to them. So the clay in a cup costs $1.50 and you charge $35 for it! That's not even 5% of the cost.
When ya buy something precious you treat it like it's precious. I even saved my trimmings for the first time in eons. http://www.pshcanada.com

Comments

Anonymous said…
Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.
Togeika said…
Tony, I saw Toru Kawai (Kanjiro's grandson) make wave plates on NHK T.V., (a blue plate with thick white waves is one of Kawai's most famous pieces.) I always thought they probably used some grass brush to make the expressive waves. But actually, it is brushed on with a piece of cotton cloth. What was interesting, was that the slip was the clay body, but a lot of sand was put in it. You could see that the graininess as he applied it. Your mention of slipping the teapots made me thing of this.
Matthew Katz said…
Tony,
Glad you liked the clay!
You should also looking into our "Stuck Up" Slip. It is great for attaching and building. Allowing for attaching without sliping and scoring. Also to attach clays that are in a "Hard Leather" state or two different moisture contents.
The real secret is that it is amazing for surface and decorations. It would be right up your alley.

Best,
Matt
-Matt and Dave's Clays.
Fun Stuff!
Barb Murphy said…
Hey Tony: I loath porcelain for all the reasons you stated. Especially the singing you had to do. THis porc threw great but the lets face it the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. I am wood firing it at the end of the month ( I threw it very thin) so I expect translucency. I am using the standard ash, 40,40,20 mix you are familiar with. I will let you know how it goes. Cheers

Barb Murphy
Matthew Katz said…
Tony, I hope you don't mind. I'm resposting some of your test and images on my blog.
Thanks again for the review!

Popular Posts