Blame it on the moon


I’ve been making moon jars for decades. Here is the shape of my standard ware no nonsense teapot that I have been making for nearly 2 decades. It is a dang moon jar with a lid, spout and a handle! I always told students to imagine farting in the bath tub and imagining what the shape of the bubble would look like. That is the shape I like for a teapot. A sphere with lots of volume looking like it is full of air.  I left Huang Gu’s mini moon jar in the workshop and glanced over and thought holy shitzkie that is the shape of my teapot.  I was tempted to trim a narrower foot on the pot but it is a teapot and must be stable on the table.
I have never really been able to make vases. I always have turned them into jugs. Now with this revelation that my teapot is actually a moon jar I am going to make some bigger forms thinking I am making a teapot and turn them into moon jars. Of course the moons will have surface texture and handles.  Blame it on the moon for my new love of vases and flowers.

Comments

Popular Posts