Putting the FU in functional

We unloaded the bourry box today after what we thought was an 8 hour stall that turned out to be an 8 hour soak. It was a damn sweet firing. It was probably the best of the mentor ship firings yet!!!! My cousin Brenda is all complimentary of functional work coming out of the kiln but when it comes to mine she said what could you ever use those for???? Chris Dunlop answered" Tony puts the FU in functional!" I loved this response. A creative mind would find a use for these boats if they needed to-flowers, bananas, a pile of strawberries, I dunno. . Andrew thought I needed to make some more before I headed for Wales so he did some prep work for me. I love them and I have no idea in hell  what someone might want to use them for. Maybe to just stare at on Saturday night while listening to Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap or Holger Petersen's Saturday Night Blues. Hey Young Chul I did pay attention in Korea I just needed my own space and my own time to make puncheong my own. What I love about pots made here in America is that we infuse our own identity into our work. At my workshop in Ottawa a week ago one of my students said to me" I have have been watching you make your pots for the last two days and I have to tell you that my description of them is "generous and friendly". Wow, I love that! How do your pots describe you?


Comments

Dennis Allen said…
Generous and friendly is great. At my last show I was the first booth as people came into a show with 50 potters. A young woman and her mother came into the booth and they started looking at cereal bowls. The young one said to Mom " I'll get these" Mom said "Don't you want to see what everyone else has?" Young one replied." Mom ! These are perfect, you are not going to find better than perfect." She ended up with 4 bowls and 4 plates. I'll bet she's back for mugs next time too. What a nice thing for her to say.
Barbara Rogers said…
Commenting I go out the door to ask my pots what they say about me...I really don't know!
Unknown said…
What do you DO with pots like that? You take them home and LEARN from them! Yes, generous and friendly is a good way to describe your work Tony. I am afraid of what my work might say about me! Ha!
Unknown said…
What do you DO with pots like that? You take them home and LEARN from them! Yes, generous and friendly is a good way to describe your work Tony. I am afraid of what my work might say about me! Ha!

Popular Posts